Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after three years of modding my 260 - I hav finally gotten around to doing my ice install....priorities were obviously trunk functionality, use of my existing equipment (from previous installs) and massively upgrading my already decent standard system.
So it was over Danny Burns (Gingerpimp), most of you guys are aware of Danny from some of his tuned Ipod systems and outstanding Audio Knowledge:smthumbup
Well I wanted Danny to advise and hopefully get the best from some pretty old gear - 12" sub aging in at nearly 17 years old !!!! various reference component speakers and a couple of oldy alpine amps.....
first of all, all i can say is what a gent - most of my equipment knowledge fell past the wayside some years back and whilst my install capabilities are sound I wanted the current up to date feeling of what was the best and easiest way to do the install...and Danny is the man....the knowledge and experience far outweigh that of any of the dealers I have spoken to and his overall knowledge of the current market is excellent.....
So it all started with two of Danny's loom extensions which basically allow use of all existing speaker wiring - therefore reducing overall weight addition and also speeding up the install time. so in went the Diamond audio front end and Boston rears, a baffle board was made up and the old infinity sub was installed. the old amps were ditched in favour of Alpine D class amps - F550 (125watts rms per channel for the mids and a M650 for the Sub (Amp weighing in at 600watts Rms output!!),,,a small floor mounted trunk install was chosen and all wired in - so all in all very little trunk space lost - weight distributed right between the strut towers and secured...sound quality is now excellent with capability for good expansion should the power crush the drivers....and all in all cost me 380 quid for amps and looms and finally a very happy camper - pics to follow
Cheers Danny for all the help advice and control ! especially when I was wanting to add the 16 subs !!!! lol:smthumbup:lol::smthumbup

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Shame you missed out on his own install he put together for a lucky few some time back.

I have had that installed in two late model evos and literally today am in the process of adding bits of it to a third.

Just need to install front door speakers and run the power to the amp (not danny's supplied amp) and fit the rear speakers to the adapter rings he supplied.

Am looking forward to hearing it again, and love even more the complete lack of encroachment onto my boot space and interior.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Aha some Pics!!! Looks great Ewan, so glad you're happy with it!

If i can be of any futher help you know where i am - and thank you very much for writing the above; i feel obliged to answer PM's, sometimes a little too lengthy in my replies but this is a subject thats better to take time to explain, less assumptions and mistakes that way ;)

Don't those wee D'class amps look nice - might just be me, i'm too close to audio, but they look lovely!!! almost good enough to be a home product!

Njoy,
danny. :)

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aye Danny boy - am quite happy with the install at the moment and am considering do a full carpetting job in the trunk as opposed to using the original side spats. glad you like it though and i get the best of both worlds with the install - neat and tidy, room for expansion on the baffle and still access to the spare wheel !!
I iwll be in touch re the speaker upgrade:smthumbup:D:D

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
looks great but loses way too much boot space for me.

glad you saw sense and didn't fit stupid numbers of subs.

I feel foolish fitting even one these days, now that I am not 17 anymore, but the lack of a sub box and 1 inch intrusion into the boot cavity make it seem foolish not to.

It also weighs buggers all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts