Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the standard Mitsi radio/cassete themselves?

I looked at replacing it today, but it has 2 aerial jacks. Does anyone know if the smaller is the Earth for the stereo, or perhaps an AM aerial? Also, 'cos my 5 has the three guages under, whoever fitted them has replaced the radio wiring loom to get feeds for the guages. The multi-pin into the radio has 12 white cables?

Anyone got any info, or the wire cutters and AVO will have to come out on Saturday!

P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pondy

As you probably know, the aerial on your Evo is built into the rear window and looks like heating elements. For this to work it must be fed positive current. It's been a few years since I went through this myself, but f I remember correctly the small 'aerial' connector is actually the positive feed to the aerial. The original head unit has this output on it, but you will need to connect it to another positive power source (I suggest one controlled by the ignition :) ).

The Mitsubishi gauge pack uses a small wiring loom that fits into the stereo feed. This should still leave a feed for the standard Evo stereo and you can convert this to an industry standard DIN connection by buying an adapter for a Mitsubishi Carisma http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >. All you have to worry about then is now you have the wiring loom for the gauge pack and the extra wiring for the adaptor how the hell do you get the stereo in :)

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seeing this thread on ice and aeriels reminds me, the screen aerial on my TME seems to give rather poor reception on the Kenwood head unit. Is this standard or does it indicate a problem?

I live on somerset/dorset border and because its quite hilly and there are not many transmitters, reception can be very bad in certain areas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil goon....

I have a Kenwood stereo and the reception is first class.Is yours connected properly????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oli Goon

If you don't send a power feed to the aerial it will still partly work, but you will receive very poor reception and only pick up what are normally very strong signals. I think the standard aerial works well for the type it is, but if you have marginal reception it's not a patch on on external aerial.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ta lads for the input.

The poor reception was noticable when going down the M5 from Birmingham on a cloudy/rainy day. On occassions the stereo reception light would flick on/off and there was a bit of white noise in the back ground. It's worse round here but I know reception is pretty marginal in some places from my previous motor.

The bass is also a bit weak, but that could be due to the speakers or some one turning the bass well down. I've only had the car 2 days and the most complex part is the Kenwood head unit so i'm still struggling to get to grips with it ;).

I will take the car to my local car stereo people as they are pretty clued up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ALSO GET POOR RECEPTION WITH MY SONY HEAD UNIT. WHAT COLOUR IS THE LIVE FEED FOR THE AERIAL. ALSO IS IT A SEPPERATE WIRE OR IS IT IN THE MULTI PLUG WITH THE REST OF THE RADIO LOOM?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry man, didn't mean to #### on your chips. Was just posting onto a thread that twigged a brain cell and there aint that may of them left let me tell you.

I wasn't sure that there was a standard Mitsi radio. I kept getting told that Evo's didn't come with ICE. I would guess that the best thing to do would be to check on the wiring diagrams in the workshop manuals or do as DaveG suggests.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fitted the radio, all works ok; except:

The main aerial jack had a Jap channel expander hooked into it. Ripped that out.

The second smaller aerial jack is not a feed for the aerial and is now not connected.

However, all is fine on FM or CD but crap AM reception, loads of white noise and really feint. This leads to the original question; is it a separate AM aerial? The original radio cassette had AM STEREO printed on it, wonder if this is something to do with it.

Anyone know?

Oli,

My car's a grey so I think it had a radio/cassette from the factory. It has Mitsubishi stamped all over it and has Jap frequencies.

And

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to highjack your thread again Pondy :D, but my Alpine ICE, gets really bad reception (it is acceptable, but cannot go too far from transmitters on long hauls) and this is from the standard outside aerial (not the window one) :( .

In saying this, I have heard (but not confirmed) that some head units, have a receiever amplifier which can be turned up/down with a screw type thing in the back/side/top/bottom of the unit.....

I have looked and mine has these screw type things (not the screws holding the thing together - plastic things) but have yet to play with them to see if there is any effect (positive or otherwise)

Can anyone confirm this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reception from the A pillar antenna is not very good. I am not happy with it. Has anybody successfully solved this problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts