Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know the owner of the white Evo that was damaged at Donny?
Noone was hurt, and the damage was limited to 2 corners, from what I could see. It would be nice to get any more details.
Shame really, as it happened about 5 minutes before 5pm, and nothing had been scratched all day before then, despite the 'variable' conditions... http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Matt
(a sympathetic Mazda driver!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Paul, it was an open Trackzone event, but it was dominated by 68 MX-5s (out of a possible 90 places). I think I saw an Exige there, but otherwise I think it was the only Elise free track event I've ever seen!

Confusingly, Bookatrack ran an event there on the Monday - I'd be surprised if no Elises crashed that day

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at the Bookatrack event and only one elise I saw went mud plugging. No damage but got 1 side got very muddy. Only casualty of the day was Ultima GTR it blew up on the track and leaked oil at the Esses. The 2 porsche drivers in front of me had a fairly hairy moment. One just carried on going as he tried to brake on the oil (lucky he had ABS as he just missed the hay bales. The other just missed the oil but went into a spin to avoid the oil. I just hit the brakes and tiptoed round. The Ultima left a lovely trail of oil all the way down the Melbourne loop then into the pits.

Lets just say the porsche drivers were not impressed with the Uiltma driver. Lovely exhaust note thou. I also got a ride in a Ferrari 360 Moderna. Amazing torque and that engine is just wailing in your ears, Amazing!

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I saw the EVO IV hit the wall on easter Sunday. That car was one of the quickest on the track, only slightly slower than well driven a 911 RS.

In the afternoon when it was raining, the EVO was spinning all 4 wheels and drifting sideways when accelerating out of the Melbourne hairpin lap after lap, and was getting more and more sideways each time. The final time drifting out of the hairpin, I guess the EVO driver felt he had oversteered the car too much, and lifted off of the throttle, the front end gripped, and flicked the car to the left. The car skidded accross the grass, missing the tyre wall and hitting the concrete with the front of the car, which spun it round and into the wall again with the rear. The damage looked to be only to the body work, so the car should survive.

Condolences to the driver, who had been driving excellently all day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original Post:
Lets just say the porsche drivers were not impressed with the Uiltma driver. Lovely exhaust note thou. I also got a ride in a Ferrari 360 Moderna. Amazing torque and that engine is just wailing in your ears, Amazing!
Thorak
No personnal insult here, but I do not know how your EVO is performing, but if you say the 360 has amazing torque then I have to say there's something wrong with your EVO. 6 Months ago I had the luxury of having a 360 for 24hours and to be honoust, after doing some back-to-back testing on highways/small roads, the EVO and scooby kicked the 360 big time. I had to admit it only had 1000 miles on the counter, nevertheless it should have done a much better job. It's a car for hairdresser and showing-off people. Just my 2$ on the Ferrari-saga-bullshit. On the other hand, the F40 is some piece of race-car...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Raven

My Evo is fairly warm in the tuning stakes. Well I think so anyway. The Ferrari was mostly used hard down the straights but come to a corner and he would brake about double the distance than I would. So ok the torque may not be described as amazing then would you disagree with the howl of the engine. My Evo makes a lot of noise but nothing compares to the engine howl of the 360 screaming in your ears, Even with a helmet on. Come on do you expect a guy with £100,000 worth of car to get the back end out on the track. No neither would I.

I gave him a ride in mine and he was pretty impressed. Well he seemed impressed as he was grabing the handholds on every corner. I tend to let the back end slide for a little fun http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I am fortunate to own both an Evo VI and an F355.

Without living with both cars, you cannot appreciate in 24 hours their true qualities and each has a different way of delivering power and handling.

For the average drive, and I am certainly that, the gismo’s of the EVO are far more forgiving and it is easier to go faster round corners, etc and to get the car out of shape, without writing the car and yourself off.

An experienced driver will have a completely different viewpoint and I am sure will prefer the relatively unaided rear wheel drive car. Not wanting to start the whole Tiff Needell thing up again, but just look at his choice of car, the BWM M powered Z3 or whatever its correctly called.

I would contend that a journey over good A and B roads is just as much fun in both cars and in totally different ways. The Ferrari feels more poised and grown up than the EVO, but the EVO hits back with its punch in the back above 4000rpm and smile factor.

Before I bought the Ferrari I had not experienced the engine noise and when I did, I could not believe it. Just amazing.

This probably explains why you find a lot of Ferrari drivers approaching bridges and tunnels slowly and then giving it welly once they are under them and yes, I do it whenever I get the chance.

You should all be grateful that in the EVO you have the performance bargain of the decade; a car that you can usually leave unattended without getting vandalised, attracts less boy racers and other complete motoring idiots and wont set you back £3000.00 for a new cam belt.

Having lived with the Ferrari for two years and the EVO for one, it has been a great experience, but I can no longer justify tying up such a large sum of money up in a car that is used so little and is not discerningly quicker than my EVO. At least I’ve been fortunate to have had the experience and equally fortunate to discover the EVO.

Just need to work on the engine note though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zippy - Thorak,

I can't agree more with you guys, the sound on the 360 is breathtaking, nothing can be compared to that. And yes, what can be more satisfying then mastering a 400HP RW drive car without any electronical gadgets to help you out. But then would you trash the hell out of the 360??? Go for a 964RS or RSR, they are 1/3 of the price and have the same raw driving characteristics and are reliable.
Bottom line, spending such $$$$$ on a car for the sound and the posing-impact is kinda ridiculous.

Cheers,

Jan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a ferrari drive pressy thing for xmas which I havn't used yet.
trouble is you start the day in a pug.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never been a real Ferrari fan but all I know is that I would sell my soul to be able to drive a 355 or 360 every day. I wouldn't care if it only had 150hp as long as the sound remained the same.....

I recall a blast with an F355 soon after getting my car, I think the guy slowed down when he saw me poking my head out of the window to get a better earful of V8 - he must've thought 'Nutter! No way I'm risking my motor dicing with him!'. Happy days.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.