Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Have just had my ARP bolts fitted to my E6, but the garage informs me that my drivers side CV boot is split and has been passing grease. They have re-filled it for me but obviously it will have to be replaced.

Quick question - before I get it in for repair, probably about 3 weeks, are there any serious do's and dont's? Has anyone had this happen? I've not actually seen the split as I pick the car up tomorrow.

Any useful pointers would be appreciated..

Thank...John

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
You mention that the garage have regreased the cv, it is worth noting that the grease used is different for the inner and outer cv joints. When replacing the cv gaitor, if possible use a genuine part as this should come as a kit complete with the relevent greases, circlips etc. It may be wise at this stage to inspect the gaitor yourself as in extreme cases the grease could spray around the inside of the wheel and even on the brakes!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Clean up the split and try and superglue it back together. Its an old trick and often works, if the split is only small then it can be often a permanent repair, not that I would skim on an Evo though. It should prevent the grease escaping or more importantly stop dirt and water getting in until you can get it replaced.
Don't drive through water if you can help it, water will rust the CV joint once the grease has gone. If its a big hole then stones and dirt will soon destroy the joint as well!
Have a search for 'CV gaitors' on here as someone was producing some OE pattern ones fairly cheaply, might be handy if you are on a budget.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the split is only small and a minor repair done. Although it will be getting replaced ASAP after the New Year. The garage I use AWD in Perth only use genuine parts, so grease and so on should come as part of the kit.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas....John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts