Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at getting at least part of my exhaust (rear section inc. backbox) replaced and as you know I can't exactly pop along to Kwik-Fit for it!

Instead of shelling out and waiting for some Jap kit to arrive, I've been investigating getting a custom section made, with a view to replacing the whole lot sometime. Trouble is I don't know how much I should be looking at. I've phoned 2 places that can make up stainless systems and without looking at the car one has quoted ~£170, the other nearer £300. I fully follow the theory that you get what you pay for but both these companies come with at least one good recommendation.

I have also considered getting the full system replaced by a good treated mild steel system, figuring that if it's significantly cheaper then I'd save money, especially as the place that can do this for me (with an impeccable rep) is much closer (1 mile as opposed to 30 odd).

I'm wondering how much have others paid for rear sections of exhaust, off-the-shelf Jap, UK or custom made?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Chunky

Darin has recently posted an ad for an E4 with custom exhaust system if you havent seen it. Might be worth contacting him for details of where the exhaust was made, etc.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
If you live in the West London area, you could try MHP (Mark Hill Productions 07788788352) in Chertsey. Mark Hill usually makes custom made motorbike exhausts but he also makes custom made Evo exhausts with carbon mufflers. That's what I have on my car and I can tell you it's very good. Even if it's only some welding that you need, you won't find someone that welds better seams than Mark.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
All,

Don't quote me on this but some time ago, when me and my buddy went to this shop to look for Supersprint full piping system for his Alfa 155, the price was very expensive and my buddy said he would just custom made the piping and exhaust.

But this salesman insisted that custom exhaust would never be as free-flow as tuner-produced exhaust system expecially on the mandrel bent part and therefore his Supersprint should be more superior. Some shop would produce a bent part by welding together a few pieces but factory mandrel bent is made from one piece. After a while, this welded part on a custom made would get rusted and deteriorated.

I'm not sure whether that was a sales pip or facts. Just wanted tp share with you guys. Maybe some good shops with good hands on welding can really do a neat job.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Mip_,

I checked out that website, which one is yours, that E6? If they fully mandrel bend their stuff, then I guess it's as good as tuner's produced, which is normally more expensive. What size of pipe did you fit? 3.5in ??

Mind telling me the whole system cost?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Yes mine is the E6 TME

It starts at 3 , then gets collared down to 2.5 (nice long transition not an abrupt change)

I'm never going to go for 400BHP so don't really need a 3-3.5

Cost me £650 |PLS| VAT but included fitting

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I had Longlife exhausts in Cardiff build me a full 2.5 turbo back exhaust including downpipe for 500 notes. I supplied a hi-flow cat I sourced in the US for 150 USD.
(If I did it again I would chuck out the cat.) Their bends are not perfect but the exhaust doesn't twist and turn very much anyway. They build their own custom silencers with a choice of tailpipes and everthing is nicely TIG welded. Took about 4 hours. Big performance improvement.
Cat back should cost around 300 notes or less.

They build all the exhausts for Marcos - or they did - I think Marcos is bust?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Okitenik
Titanium? I think to need to be educated in the realities of lesser-Lancer ownership! :) Cost is pretty much the major factor here, and my quote of £360 for custom-fitted 2½ stainless system off the turbo to the tip suits the bill. Welded mandrel bends are not the perfect solution but the CC Lancer's exhaust route is not exactly convoluted anyway.

Now all I have to do is decide whether or not I can dump my cat, that car is declared manufacturered in 1993 on the V5, I assume I can still lose it without affecting my chances of getting through the MOT? If I need to keep it and put in a wee spool to drop out to fit the cat for the MOT then I can if I wish.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
CHunky, you should see the custom exhaust the Power Engineering have just made for me!

Straight through, no cat, no centre box - 3 from the turbo, with a 5.5 tail pipe! It looks monsterous and sounds like a tornado!

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Can't hear it, as I need ear plugs 'cos the noise from the roof vent is so loud!!!

The exhaust actually isn't much louder than the HKS super drager from inside the car - but sounds awesome outside.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Blade

What chance that your system is road legal? But who cares :D

MIP's exhaust sounded quite unbelievable. I know its legal, but I am sure the regulators never meant something like that to be legal.

As for the idea that Blade would CRUISE on a motorway............ well I guess anything is possible. Lets face it, Michael and I agreed on something last week, I think :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
:D :D :D

Actually, it probably is street legal. I think it will be under 96db at 4000rpm, so ok for the tracks. It is the combination of tyre, induction and exhaust when it is being gunned that makes the noise.

It is producing 2 foot long flames now at 0.9 bar!

Cool!

Cruisin? Never!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Got back from Alien Concepts in Bo'ness where I had the thing fitted today, £340 and exhausts don't come much more 'straight through' than this, I'll tell you! Apart from the (ridiculously small) flange off the turbo (TD05 needed!) which was kept from the previous system, the whole system is 2½ and literally goes straight from about the bulkhead to the rear axle. Slightly louder than my previous system, removal of the cat has made a good bit of difference to initial spoolup and power comes in harder and is available further up the rev range. A good bit of basso profundo to scare the old ladies isn't a bad thing though, no? ;) A full review and some piccies to follow.

Only thing is, when it was being fitted it was noticed that it was the (lack of) propshaft bush that was making the clunking sounds I was blaming on the 'zorst and with the fettling is is now starting to make a constant noise. More £££!

All in all I'm quietly impressed and if anyone's needing a custom job like this made up then Scott there is yer man.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Gordon,
Has your new system only got a rear box on it?. Thinking of making up a new system myself but don't want to reduce back pressure so much that it causes smoking when on boost. I have a tig welder and mandrel benders in the workshop (up to 3.5 ), only a matter of getting in pipe and sourcing a good back box (Any ideas?).
Anyway get yourself a good induction kit to compliment your exhaust as you won't gain too much with the standard airbox and filter;).
Oh yeah what size is the TD04 flange? as it might be an ideal time to swap for a TD05 i can get hold of easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
TD04 flange? Not as small as I was led to believe! I'd gauge it as about 1¾ - some were saying it was nearer 1 ! Have a look for yourself, remember the new 'zorst is 2½ . Click on the pics for full size (300k!) images:

[IMG]http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/newpics/exhaust/dscf0147_t.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/newpics/exhaust/dscf0148_t.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry these pictures are a bit duff, they were taken in the dark with me squirming around the car on an axle stand! Here's what I mean by 'straight through':

[IMG]http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/newpics/exhaust/dscf0151_t.jpg[/IMG]

Best viewed at full size that one, but you can see that it is basically a straight pipe off the turbo to the rear axle! Hadn't thought about the backpressure too much, if I feel it's too noisy or whatever I can always go back and get it quietened.

The tail pipe I went for in the end was different from the 3½ round effort I was originally going to get, I thought something a wee bit different from the usual Max Power rocket launcher was in order:

[IMG]http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/newpics/exhaust/dscf0149_t.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/newpics/exhaust/dscf0002_t.jpg[/IMG]

Those are a bit shite 'cos of the light, but they show me keeping to the GSR's twin-pipe roots!

As you say, next on the agenda is induction. Once the MOT is out if the way I'll start saving my shekels again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts