Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lat week RC Developements fitted a Cusco Comp 2 coilover suspension kit to my Tommi.First of all I would like to express a big thank you to Clive,Max and Jenny for looking after me so well on the day.

I arrived late,at their premises and they were fully booked for the day,and I had missed my slot,but Max came in on his day off to help work on my car.They started work on my car at 5.00pm ,fitted the Cusco,did a full geometry set up,and fitted a new Hyper Muffler,they also sorted out my brakes.

They asked if I was hungry,and Max went and got a Chinese take-a-way,we all sat in Warrenders showroom and had a feast.They then completed and roadtested my car at 1.00am in the morning,when it came to the bill they only charged me the set labour time,no extras .........That is what I call service.

These guys are true enthusiasts,and know how to take care of their customers

The Suspension it Transformed my Car..
The Cusco is great it comes fully adjustable with pillow ball mounts and is beautifully engineered,the handling is totally transformed,it corners flat with great steering feel,and the whole car feels tight,I now realise how poor the standard suspension is,I could never go back to it.The car now sits very low ,the wheels are in the arches and look great,if anybody wants a good road/track suspension this would be hard to beat,I now understand why Cusco is the favoured choice of the Japanese

The Price £1357 |PLS|vat and worth every penny:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good to hear you have had the Cusco gear fitted at last, I've been waiting for your report for a while.
Just a couple of questions for you,

What sort of adjustment do you have on the shocks, ie bump and rebound damping adjustment and how many positions. Also what are the spring rates in lbs/in or Kg/mm.

Are the shocks single or twin tube, oil or gas.

Is there any camber adjustment where the front strut bolts to the hub or is it adjusted with the top mounts only.

Are the shocks noisey in car, as some aftermarket suspension can be noisey, ie squeaks and knocks.

How do you find the ride on bumpy B roads, or is the set-up for smooth A roads and track use.

Are the springs 2.25 ID or another size.

I agree the standard set-up is like a blancmange, I changed mine a year and a half ago and it transformed the car, infact it was the first mod I carried out. :)

Glad you are happy with the new set up, I would like to have a ride at a future track day if possible.

Regards Clive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Clive I will try to answer some of your questions,

The adjustments I will ask Clive, I dont know spring rates will ask

They are single tube,will ask if oil or gas

Camber top mount ,not sure if any other adjustment

It does squeak,but I have been told it will settle down

Don't know spring size will ask

Yes you can drive my car when we meet.

The ride is firm but compliant,the faster you go the smoother it gets,on B roads it is very good,does'nt crash and does'nt bounce .

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought only MAXI and I do this type of stuff late at night! I'm impressed. I'll drop by RC if I ever make it to the UK with my car...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barry

Gr8 to here you finally ahve the Cusco stuff fitted. I hope you continue to enjoy it. One question though, is this the first time your car has been fitted with pillowball mounts? Do you notice any difference that you can put down to these. Is there more road noise because of them?

I would appreciate your comments.

regards

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Simon,I dont notice any increase in road noise,just a bit of squeaking which Clive said will go away as things loosen up.I know pillow ball mounts can be noisy but so far I have not experienced any noises from the front.

The Pro 2 is designed for fast road /track,I think it is therefore more forgiving than there full competition kit.The engineering and finish is a work of art,it was a shame to have to put it on the car.

Ill keep you posted as to how I get on with it.

Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Barry,

Would be interested to hear more about this kit once you've driven it for a while. I'm doing the homework on suspension upgrades and this sounds promising. Will you be at Combe in May? May try to blag a ride if you're there.

Regards,
Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Steve I will keep you posted,so far it's brilliant.I should be at Coombe if so your welcome to a ride,on full stiff and added braces should get round in good times.

Regards Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For Clive,they are oil shocks,the spring size is 2.25 ID,for more info ring Clive at RC...all I know is they are spot on.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the ride much worse than the standard suspension at low speeds? I had a track suspension on my scooby and it was ridiculous to live with. Especially on bumpy roads ... However on the track, my evo feels like a boat compared to my scooby, heh ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jspeed,the ride is firm but compliant,and that is with the settings at 1 under full hard front,2 under full hard rear,very little bump steer ,fantastic steering feel,turn in camber set front 1.75,and mechanical grip.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your shocks are set at just under full stiffness then when they wear a bit and soften, as they always do, won't that leave little potential
to stiffen them to get the car feeling like new?

Depending on how hard and how many miles you drive the car you could end up rebuilding the shocks quite regular.

my thoughts anyway, could be wrong.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AnEvo you could be right,but in July I am giving the car to RC to turn into a full blown track car ,so I dont think I should experience a problem as the milage will be low.But I will have to wait and see,you have made a good point though I had'nt thought of that.

Thanks Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Barry,

Don't worry, oil shocks are very easy to revalve so that the damping can be made much firmer, and the 2.25 springs that you have fitted are readily available in many different lengths and rates and are about £12 each.

You could also use a different weight of oil (diff viscosity) to change the damping characteristics.
It's really not a problem at all :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barry,

Did you get the Comp-2's or the Comp-2R's? I recently got Comp-2's for my car, and agree that everything feels so much tighter than stock.

However, I do think that the ride is far too harsh for the bumpy roads here in the Philippines (I've driven on B-roads in the U.K., and trust me-- you guys don't know what bumpy roads are really like! :))

But yes, as you speed up, the ride gets better and the car feels much better planted than before. I still have the squeaking sound from the rears though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Hesperus,my kit is Comp 2,squeaking has now gone,400 miles since fitting.What settings are you on?

R Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's nothing much you can do about the squeaking I'm afraid, it usually comes about when you have the damping in the mid range position, if you run the shocks at the higher or lower settings the squeaking normally disappears. It is caused by the oil moving past the damping shim stack that restricts the oils flow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts