Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to restore the burnt tip look? The ones on my exhaust are a little faded and I love the look!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not rusted, don't get me wrong, it's like its peeling off or something? It's a genuine CTEC so I know it's quality, just want to know what to do

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you can see the exhaust is as good as new except for the tip colouration. Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

·
Moderator™
27,612 Posts
It does not look that bad once its on the car. (honest!!!) :)

This was my old exhaust - The burnt style tips are fading a bit (which in my eyes should never have done this - esp when the car has only done 500 miles since the system went on)

You will need to ask NigelS what ever he did to make it look like this -
There only stainless steel tail pipes - so theoretically they should be looking like new!! Im not sure what went wrong on this one from NigelS :rolleyes:

However I do know I was the 1st person to have custom 4.5 tail pipes!

I think you have x2 options

1) get it polished - its only a coating and it will come off!!! then you will have shiny tail pipes looking like BRAND new. :)

2) just put it on and once fitted you will hardly tell as they sit very close to the bumper etc....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate, I'm not too fussed to be honest, I was just cleaning them up last night and noticed. The pictures shown are actually the bottom side so not too visible.

I just though I'd ask the question...

It defo looks like a coating, anyone know how to do it? I might give NigelS a bell.

It's getting fitted as we speak so I'm sure once I hear the beast I won't give a monkeys! :naughty:

If anyone knows, feel free to let me know ;)

It does not look that bad once its on the car. (honest!!!) :)

This was my old exhaust - The burnt style tips are fading a bit (which in my eyes should never have done this - esp when the car has only done 500 miles since the system went on)

You will need to ask NigelS what ever he did to make it look like this -
There only stainless steel tail pipes - so theoretically they should be looking like new!! Im not sure what went wrong on this one from NigelS :rolleyes:

However I do know I was the 1st person to have custom 4.5 tail pipes!

I think you have x2 options

1) get it polished - its only a coating and it will come off!!! then you will have shiny tail pipes looking like BRAND new. :)

2) just put it on and once fitted you will hardly tell as they sit very close to the bumper etc....

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I thought the tips were a different material than the rest of the exhaust. Could be wrong, I'm sure Nigel will make it all clear in due course.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I thought the tips were a different material than the rest of the exhaust. Could be wrong, I'm sure Nigel will make it all clear in due course.
Think the tips are Titanium? Could be wrong though...

I found this article which looks interesting http://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...titanium-exhaust-tips-anodizing-titanium.html

It's a pretty good guide... Basically, you anodise the tips using coca cola and some batteries...

I would need to remove all the other crap off the tips first though.

Don't know if this is what Nigel does...?

EDIT: If the tips are Stainless Steel, it won't work... Only Titanium

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I know the first batch certainly were as you can't weld the tips to the main exhaust. Nor sure on the latest revision.

·
Moderator™
27,612 Posts
Think these tip are stainless steel not titanium....hence why it's gone like this this....
However I know another person who has a burnt tip on a stainless exhaust and it's perfect and has been for over a year....

·
Premium Member
22,012 Posts
Think these tip are stainless steel not titanium....hence why it's gone like this this....
However I know another person who has a burnt tip on a stainless exhaust and it's perfect and has been for over a year....
pretty sure they are stainless

Why not re-heat them, re-burn them, is it not as simple as getting the ends clean, then heat till it glows red? Never done it, but quick google seems to imply its quite easy

Stu

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy momma, it's fitted now. You said it was loud but... wow. It's insane, the sound is so raw! :eek: Pops, bangs, gurgles the lot just as you described Andy :naughty:

I love it.

Vid to follow, although I'm sure everyone's seen enough of them by now! :lol:

I did try heating them on the hob (as videos described) but TBH, I didn't want to mess it up... could do with a torch you have more control over it then...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts