Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EVO VI GSR has developed a problem changing from 3rd to 4th which only happens at high-revs e.g. 7000rpm. I've changed the gearbox oil to Castol SMX on recommendation from the archives, but this has only slightly improved the condition. Difficult to describe the symptoms, but there is increased resistance and a mechanical crunch on the change- clutch fully depressed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like you have damaged the syncro for four gear. I damaged mine about 15000 miles ago and I just ignore it now, infact I don't even know if it still does it anymore as I take no notice as I slam it into gear! If you can still change gear ok don't worry about it. If your paranoid, parts are about £60 plus labour, Gearbox removal|PLS|fitment of new syncro!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a similar problem changing into 5th at high revs and also a slight crunch going second to third - probably the same problem as Clive describes. If you can put up with the noise it's not an immediate problem, although if it is just the syncro best get it done as it will likely cause some damage longer term - cheaper than a new gearbox. Getting mine done next service.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this problem too and it turned out to be the clutch;
have replaced with an AP organic clutch and all is now fine,
infact, better than fine.....the AP clutch is just marvellous !

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine does it from 4th gear into 5th, shifting above 6000rpm. Probably the syncro. I dont think it has anything to do with the clutch. Just got an AP organic as well. All other gears are fine.

Got the new clutch because std. was getting very smelly and after driving hard on the track the engine would almost stall when applying the clutch in 1st gear. With the ap, the stink is gone, but the (almost) stalling in 1st still occurs!?!

Is there an upgrade one should do to the tranny (when it is open anyway)? Some dealer in Germany offers improved 1st and 2nd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
N ring - get the gears shot peened, and get uprated bearings. YOu can mix and match the gears - I would say for the ring, it is probably pretty good as it is. I went for shorter 3rd, 4th, and 5th and left the final drive (also in the gearbox) alone. Haven't shot peened or anything yet though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts