Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was wondering any of you LanEvo owners ever heard of crankwalk from a 4G63. i am helping a friend in the US that is currently having problem of this so called 'crankwalk' problem from his Mitsu Elicpse (which have a 4G63 under the hood)

Myself will be guessing that the US spec 4G63s is different from the one we have in our Evos(i know, at least from the IV to VII must be different, myself own a V). but i have no idea or source to prove this point. anyone comes up with an idea? thanks for helping

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi! I think that crankwalk is where the crankshaft moves back and forth in the main bearing journals, due to excessive wear in the thrust washers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's apparently a big problem with US 2nd generation Eclipses - very similar engine to Evo 1 to 3. Same small port head, same bottom end apart from pistons? Less power due to smaller turbo (T25 Garret) and smaller intercooler. A good upgrade for Eclipses is Evo 3 turbo/exhaust elbow and a 16g evo type turbo (big 16g Evo 3).

There are various theories for crankwalk - one is that the piston oil squirter pressure relief valve fails and reduces oil flow to the main bearings. Other theories are bad factory tolerances on crank end float from factory leading to premature wear and uprated clutch damage.

Driving around with a foot resting on the clutch pedal wouldn't help either. Possibly the love of drag racing doesn't help much too.

The first generation eclipses don't seem to be affected at all. So my guess is that it is a factory build problem or the oil spray jets. Some people subtitute first gen Eclipse oil squirters.

The only cure is a complete bottom end rebuild - sometimes including a new crank.

The US DSM forums have plenty of discussions on this topic.

www.dsm.org
is a good place to start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info.
do you know is it a 6 or 7 bolt block in the 2G DSMs?

anyways as the bottom is so weak.. replace them with Evo parts should cure the problem right? hrmm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 bolt bottom end in 2G. Changed in Eclipses in 1994.

The evo parts are theoretically no better - the part numbers are probably even the same. I have a copy of US Mitsubishi CAPS part program (as used by main dealers). Anyone out there got one for evos 1-3 or 4-7 ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, this is scary then.

I've read about this dreaded problem on the US boards before, and it seems to be the only really deadly inherent flaw in the otherwise bullet-proof 4G63. Thankfully, it seems rather rare.

My question is, what are the signs of crankwalk? And by that I mean, signs (if any) before your whole engine needs a rebuild?

Apart from an E5, I have a 2nd-generation 4G63 (from an Eclipse) transplanted into an old Galant, so naturally I'm concerned. I too know someone with an E4 that seems to have encountered this problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one symptom I remember reading about is that when you depress the cluthc in neutral, the revs drop or the engine stalls all together. I think there are some more symptoms though. The funny thing is, from all I have read, the Evo I-III engines are nearlly identical to the 2nd gen eclipses (excluding turbo/manifolds and pistons for the Evo III) but I have never heard of htis in an Evo I to III.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
www.magnusmotorsports.com has a very good theory - bad oil squirter technology in 2g blocks

- nice pictures of sawn up engine blocks for all you 4G63 perverts out there too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some interesting reads on the dsm sites ,they seem to know the 4g63 engine xtremely well .
Down loaded some info on bleeder valve set up .
Either they take their cars seriously and have money to burn ,or parts ,labour and knowledge is cheap.
Will vist a few more times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts