Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was defrosting the car the other day and noticed that the heaters werent working and the electrics were cutting out after a while of the car being on (this had only started happening while the car was on idle so was never actually driven before it started showing any symptoms)

anyway popped the bonnet and noticed that the Aux belt wasn't turning and that there was very little tension in the belt, got under it yesterday and found that the crankshaft pulley has came away from the centre section (after a search on here i now realise that it's a fairly common problem with the rubber perishing over time)

pic below showing whats happened (somehow the Aux belt is still on the inner part of the pulley)

first thing i'm wondering is if theres any chance that this could have affected the cambelt timing ? worth getting it checked or not directly related ?

secondly i was just wondering if anyone knows who does the best price for an OEM pulley ? only price i've found so far is camskill at £153.14

cheers :smthumbup

·
acting daft since 1969
19,594 Posts
it wont have affected the cam timing thats quite well covered up

as for a replacement i payed £80 for a pully second hand ,but you want one of as later car as poss

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I have one from my 57k Evo 5, in excellent condition, i've sold my engine and i'll be buying an uprated one with my new engine.

PM me with an offer.

cheers

andy

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh theres no damage to the surrounding area (lower cambelt cover) but i wasn't sure if the cambelt would be affected as i'm not sure what the pulley setup is behind the cover and where/what pulleys it runs off at the bottom

cheers mate, what's the benefit of fitting one from a later model (is the pulley any different) ? guessing the 7/8/9 runs the same setup/pulley ? or is that just to get as best condition as possible buying second hand ?

think i would rather buy new to be on the safe side

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
yeh theres no damage to the surrounding area (lower cambelt cover) but i wasn't sure if the cambelt would be affected as i'm not sure what the pulley setup is behind the cover and where/what pulleys it runs off at the bottom

cheers mate, what's the benefit of fitting one from a later model (is the pulley any different) ? guessing the 7/8/9 runs the same setup/pulley ? or is that just to get as best condition as possible buying second hand ?

think i would rather buy new to be on the safe side
Lower mileage 2nd hand then the better mate, but you can get a decent 2nd hand one.

of course, its your call.

cheers

Andy

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
if possible i would get a solid light weight pully not the standard damper type with the rubber damper we see this a bit on mercs v8s and v6 mainly

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if possible i would get a solid light weight pully not the standard damper type with the rubber damper we see this a bit on mercs v8s and v6 mainly
my only issue with that is surely there will be more vibration due to it being solid, the rubber ring must be there for a reason ?

Here's some pics of mine i'm just about to put for sale :

cheers

Andy
cheers Andy, got your e-mail aswell. I'll keep it in mind but i'm looking to buy new atm

you was very lucky there
dont buy a 2nd hand one it will only go the same way and possible do this next time
yeh i was lucky i spotted the fault while the car was stationary and only idling, if it had happened while travelling at 70mph i'm sure it could have ended up nasty like in the pics you posted

i'll get in touch with a few of the traders on here tomorrow and see how much they can do the pulley for, anyone got any other suggestions on who to try ?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
i asked about solid lightweight pulleys recently, if you want an after market go for a fluidampr,, the oem crank pulley is designed to be balanced and run on the crank, fitting a solid lightweight one you would need the whole crank setup re-balanced, it is not healthy to just stick on a lightweight pullet. ill try fink the link.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers for that mate, yeh thats what i had thought. If i was planning on going for big power/engine mods then it would be a possibility but i'm only going to be going for mild mods and trying to keep it as standard as possible (uprating where i can along the way)

will try and phone about some of the traders for a price on an OEM pulley

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine has just done the same thing lucky for me happened when I started the car
Up and wasn't driving any joy with a good price for replacement

1 - 15 of 15 Posts