Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the problem started when the car suddenly stopped while driving normally. No spark and no fueling. Diagnosed the problem to be a faulty crank sensor. After fitting new sensor, the engine started nicely but as soon as the clutch is depressed the engine started to misfire quite badly. changed the plugs and engine fired up fine. In all, the engine probably ran for 40mins today in the garage.

When the clutch was depressed yet again for 1st gear the engine stopped completely and won't start again. Now, after examining the old crank sensor, it appears to be alittle damaged, seemed like something has been rubbing on it.

My fear now is that there is excessive crank walk and the disc is actually rubbing on the crank sensor whenever the clutch is depressed. Does the 4G63 suffer from thrust bearing failure? Or could my crank be twisted?

Now, with this latest find about the crank walk, its becomming clear as about a month ago, the engine suffered a complete engine oil starvation when the oil filter was damaged when it hit an uneven patch of road. So, the engine probably did a good 10mins with the engine oil gushing out and maybe a minute or 2 without any oil.

Luckily the problem was rectified early and it seem to have saved the engine until this happened today. In fact, the engine was happy revving away until the clutch is depressed.

Can it be

1.) Damaged crank
2.) Worn out thrust bearings
3.) complete mess at the bottom end? :cry:

Planning to put the car on a ramp tomorrow and do a simple check with the sump off. Anything particular to look out for?

really appreciate any help guys..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Look in the sump for bearing trash and measure the crank endplay with feeler gauges or better yet a dial indicator. Shouldn't be more than 0.177mm. Based on what you are saying though, it is a safe bet that you have crankwalked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is infact an evo 4. checked the new crank sensor we replaced last week and its damaged. However, the freeplay from the crank isn't as bad as to cause the sensor failure. It must be that the timing disc got warped. Don't know how can that happen though.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
stick an evo 5+ engine in it.

i had the same :cry:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
mine was noticed when getting the main service done. worn sensor.

get an evo 5- onwards engine for it. :D

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
ZZlights said:
did you find out what caused the damage?
no, but i know repairing it costs about the same/if not more than swapping it for a stronger engine. if you have the cash strip it and do the internals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts