Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this.

Took my suspension arms off last week to install pollybushes. Gave them to a mate to press the bushes, without really looking at them. Today he got round to fitting the bushes and sent me pics of the NS upper rear arm with 2 big cracks in where the bushes go!!!!

Lucky I took them off as it's already done several track days like it so I'm very lucky they didn't go completely!!!

I know there was some sort of arm recall on the 4-6's. Was it for this arm, as mines apparently had it done?

I'll post some pics once I've got some 3G or wifi.

Tom

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
that's the arms which were part of the recall, if you have had them done already and they have gone again that's pretty poor

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The previous owner had them done apparently.

Do you think it's worth calling Mitsubishi and seeing if I can get a new 1 through the system?

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Definitely worth checking witrh Mitsubishi. I've not seen or heard of any failures of the replacement versions so my money would be on them being the originals.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
we have had a few of these lately. if mitsy are still replacing them on recall they wont just give you one they will only replace them if you take the car in and they will fit it

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
Mitsubishi replaced mine an air gunned the small bolts into the body and stripped one which caused the arse end to flap about at 70/80 mph on the motorway ..... rank amateurs . i ended up having to do it myself as i didn't want to waste a day of my time waiting for them to f4ck it up again .

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I never trust any normal garages to touch my Evo.

I remember the feeling of horror when I got it valleted once and some little chav who looked like he'd had all his birthdays at once hopped in and dove it found to the Hoover bay!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks for confirming Clive. I called Mitsubishi but their service bit was busy and they never called back!

Going to pester them again on Monday and see if there's any chance they will exchange it.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
Would you care to share what the (visual) differences are? I want to make sure I have the right ones on my E6..

Thanks,

Adwo
The only difference with the new 'modified' arms is the addition of PRC Sealant on the faces of the bush/arm joint (you can see the sealant on the pic below), to stop ingress of moisture. It's this ingress of moisture of the standard arms which causes galvanic corrosion of the aluminium arm. (Galvanic corrosion is ionic flow between 2 dissimilar metals, which corrodes the metal)

The corrosion of the alumium causes it's crystalline structure to expand, putting stress on the arm around the bush. The stress raiser is the 'mould join line' from the casting, and this is where the crack always forms.

Attachments

·
Life after Evo= Elise
15,492 Posts
we have had a few of these lately. if mitsy are still replacing them on recall they wont just give you one they will only replace them if you take the car in and they will fit it
I got two replacements from mitsy for my E6 under the recall . took all the details in with the old arms with picks of the car . They properly claimed for doing it ..

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I got two replacements from mitsy for my E6 under the recall . took all the details in with the old arms with picks of the car . They properly claimed for doing it ..
I did the same with the Lambda recall - had the car stripped at the time. Saves the dealer work so it's win - win. :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
The only difference with the new 'modified' arms is the addition of PRC Sealant on the faces of the bush/arm joint (you can see the sealant on the pic below), to stop ingress of moisture. It's this ingress of moisture of the standard arms which causes galvanic corrosion of the aluminium arm. (Galvanic corrosion is ionic flow between 2 dissimilar metals, which corrodes the metal)

The corrosion of the alumium causes it's crystalline structure to expand, putting stress on the arm around the bush. The stress raiser is the 'mould join line' from the casting, and this is where the crack always forms.
Thanks.

Would that mean that aftermarket bushes can lead to premature failing also (as the sealant is missing)..

Cheers,

Adwo

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I had mine recalled but changed the bushes to Polly ones after and don't remember having sealant on them when I pulled them down.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
Thanks.

Would that mean that aftermarket bushes can lead to premature failing also (as the sealant is missing)..

Cheers,

Adwo
Yes.

When changing to any aftermarket bush I always seal the join as a matter of course.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts