Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some advice, maybe some of you know your fords.

I'm a tuning agent and I did a dpf remove and delete & remap on a customers ford Mondeo

Customer was very pleased with results. Drove it around 40/50 miles that night and went to work in morning.

He was letting his friends take shots at his work place. Car was sitting idle and it cut out.

It would no longer start, customer called me. Neither myself or my tuner could understand how it could be anything to do with software.

I decided to go down and reverse the software just to make sure. Car still acted the same.

I suggested spare key. Spare key "seemed to be dead"

Also I noticed when entering the car it stated "fob battery low"

I swapped the batteries around and then the spare key did same as original key, stated fob battery low. It wouldn't lock the doors but the open button seemed to work as it would activate the puddle lights.

The boot unlock button also worked.

It was my suggestion that he gets in touch with a good ford technician that I know as it may well be the key needs to be reset as the battery has got so low.

He went straight to dealership, they blamed software, replaced dpf pipe and reflashed original software and presumably reset keys.

I would just honestly like to get a few opinions as I'm happy to take blame if I am to blame.

I've tuned lots of these mondeos and my tuner has many years experience, he reckons its an unfortunate coincidence.

Its a 58 plate Mondeo, the one with the smart key.

Like I said, drove fine on test drive, drove fine that night and next morning.

I asked about the key blob being low, he said its been low for a while but still opens and locks doors.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
My opinion is to only work on sheite you understand. Saves headaches like this because you obviously have no clue about how the systems on that particular car work.

Not slagging you off here, just stating a fact.

If the guy wants you to pay he should have give you the chance to rectify it if it was your fault.

I've seen dpf delete maps wipe ecu code. We have had no end of issues with dpf deletes, we now just turn them away as IMO the people creating the files out there, don't know enough about what they are doing. Most are not dpf delete, but more give the ecu a permanent low level dpf content.

Just looking for some advice, maybe some of you know your fords.

I'm a tuning agent and I did a dpf remove and delete & remap on a customers ford Mondeo

Customer was very pleased with results. Drove it around 40/50 miles that night and went to work in morning.

He was letting his friends take shots at his work place. Car was sitting idle and it cut out.

It would no longer start, customer called me. Neither myself or my tuner could understand how it could be anything to do with software.

I decided to go down and reverse the software just to make sure. Car still acted the same.

I suggested spare key. Spare key "seemed to be dead"

Also I noticed when entering the car it stated "fob battery low"

I swapped the batteries around and then the spare key did same as original key, stated fob battery low. It wouldn't lock the doors but the open button seemed to work as it would activate the puddle lights.

The boot unlock button also worked.

It was my suggestion that he gets in touch with a good ford technician that I know as it may well be the key needs to be reset as the battery has got so low.

He went straight to dealership, they blamed software, replaced dpf pipe and reflashed original software and presumably reset keys.

I would just honestly like to get a few opinions as I'm happy to take blame if I am to blame.

I've tuned lots of these mondeos and my tuner has many years experience, he reckons its an unfortunate coincidence.

Its a 58 plate Mondeo, the one with the smart key.

Like I said, drove fine on test drive, drove fine that night and next morning.

I asked about the key blob being low, he said its been low for a while but still opens and locks doors.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply buddy. There's certain cars we don't touch, like insignias for instance as they can be unpredictable. I've never had a problem with the Mondeo before, done many keyless focus's also.

I'm happy to take blame I just want to know for definite either way. I don't understand how the car would be okay that night and till linch time next day.

I want to know even for my own piece of mind because if this is to do with me I will not be doing a Mondeo again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Typical, dealer blaming software... who would have thought they would do that when they didnt have a clue either.

Any ideas what the dealer actually DID do? and surely if they blamed the software they should be the people that can reset it!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I appreciate your reply buddy. There's certain cars we don't touch, like insignias for instance as they can be unpredictable. I've never had a problem with the Mondeo before, done many keyless focus's also.

I'm happy to take blame I just want to know for definite either way. I don't understand how the car would be okay that night and till linch time next day.

I want to know even for my own piece of mind because if this is to do with me I will not be doing a Mondeo again.
Problem you have is they changed software then coded the keys.

Keys are not uncommon to go down, maybe it was just the keys.

Usually if it's a software problem the car would not have started after you programmed it.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
The keyless system on the earlier fords was quite troublesome ant there have been various software updates and TSB's (technical service bulletins ) to address this. However if what you say is true and the car was running and just cut out then it will be nothing to do with the keyless system or key fobs. It will not cause the car to cut out whilst running only to not start. Also although the engine Ecu that you refashed does play a small part in the keyless start the main part of it is carried out by a seperatley module(KVM ) located in the boot.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have the guys word that it died whilst idle.
He also tried bump starting it, it would run for 10 seconds and die.

Funnily enough when I pressed the power button. I heard a tiny click from boot area.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I think that now the car is in a running state you will never know the answer unless it happens again. As already mentioned you would like to think it wouldn't have started directly after you refashed it if it was a software problem and not a day later. Do you know what fault codes were in it when it got to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
codes

ask the claimant what exact part of the software caused the fault-or dealer to demonstrate/prove
it would probably be a simple key recode/set -none of the chimps in a modern dealers will have the knowlage to perform anything other than the most rudimentry checks/reprogramming
if the computer says-they do
monkey see-monkey do

i"d want to see the evidence first rather than just refund carte blanche:handsup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I dealt with a mondeo not long ago.

There is an issue with a water ingress leaking in to the convience ECU and causing issues.

The problem we had was customer parked his car up over night, then next day wouldnt start and each time the ignition was turned on the dash display showed low battery, this didnt change even with a boost pack on.

When we spoke to ford they told of the issue above and as the car was still under warrenty it was taken straight to them had an new ECU fitted. I could be wrong with which ECU, but which ever one it is the one that controls keyless start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing to do with what you've done mate. As said above, if the problem was with your software then the problem would have showed up right away. Invest in some good diagnostics and do before and after checks to see if any faults are logged. I'd suggest a 15/20 mile test drive after re-flashing and then check again for fault codes. I'd tend to agree with your tuner that it's a very unfortunate coincidence. It was probably going to happen next day anyway. Unfortunately for you it's easy for the customer to blame you as you were last one working at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts