Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the engine and gear box have the same or different oil supply. What I mean is can i change my gear box oil as I dont know when it last was done or indeed can it can be done. TonyC incident has got me wary about looking after my gearobox.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
your engine and gear box have different oil supplys and defferent grade oils.
not sure of the gearbox oil but i think most people tend to use 10-40w engine oil .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the only car that shared the Engine and Gearbox oil was the mini and that was because the gearbox was in the sump. Any other cars that had a combined Engine and Gearbox oil supply?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HH6,

Annorak on

The early (up to about 1990) Peugeot/Citroen/Talbot 954cc, 1124cc and 1360cc engines leant back at about 72 degrees and had the gearbox just behind the crank. These used the same oil for engine and gearbox too.

Annorak off

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah what a list!

Engine (10W-30)
Gearbox (Multi Gear oil 75W/85W)
Transfer Box (Hypoid GL-5 gear oil)
Torque Transfer Mechanism (AYC fluid)
Rear Differential (Hypoid GL-5 gear oil)
AYC Hydraulric unit (ATF fluid)

I think I will buy some shares in Shell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The question is will a Mitsubishi garage be able to do all this with 3 hours notice. I think I know the answer already, but I could be pleasently suprised, they have Ralliart and an Evo 6 picture on the ad in the Yellow pages. Yet breast with implants look great, but feel ****, so looks can be miss leading.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they can I wud be surprised , dealer service tends 2 be booked at least a week in advance.
Try that place in Ferrybridge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car is booked in to have the tracking done at 12 tomorrow. Going to phone them up in the morning to see if they are willing to do it then the tracking is done. If not off to ferrybridge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right the Garage did the oil changes as well:

Hypoid75/90s - 6 litres - £58.73 (They seemed to have used in it all gearbox and differentionals)
Duckhams QXR 10W-40W - 5 litres - £23.80

The car is an 1800 RS so no AYC, but why have they put the same oil in gearbox as the diffs.
Second thing is QXR a semi sythenitic, thought at least would have been full synt. Thinking this I looked on Duckhams website and they recommened this for cars over 5 years, but been running Full Synthetic all the time ive had the car, no problem with it.
Third thing, Chunky will know, but Im sure the car will only hold 4 litres of oil, where my 5 one gone.

Apart from that they seem OK and had 3, Evo 6s around, one a Tommy, and are classed as Ralliart dealer, but who isnt know a days. Think the pope just came one.
But if these small niggles ive got are OK will probably use them again, after ive saved up.
Does anyone have the number for BTR preperations please.

Can any one help me with the above points as I will be down there asap tomorrow it they have bodged up.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTR prep - 01977 552 348. Tim, or Gavin, or Andy...

Mine's off for a 27,000m service there on Wednesday!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fifth litre of oil is still in the container!! Although the garage should give you any surplus fluid you have paid for it is common practice for them not to http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

For any dealer servicing I've had done (just to keep the warranty valid - prefer to do this sort of thing myself) I've always checked the quantities on the invoice and asked for any surplus back. They can't refuse because you have paid for it and it means you have a spare litre should you need to top the system up before the next service.

Ref the QXR - I wouldn't want that in my engine but I know a local performance car retailer who only use a non named semi synthetic in all their cars. If you don't specify the oil you want up front it's a bit of a lottery what the garage will use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't worry about the semi-syth, I use it all the time and as synthetic's main benefit is resistance to breakdown over time as long as it is changed regularly enough (5000 miles) there shouldn't be any problem.

Also, bear in mind tha many company's semi-synthetics are only classed as such because of some mineral oil-derived components that actually help the oil. One of these is Silkolene Turbolene GTI which comes to me highly recommended from a few sources.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will try and get my other litre tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RS: what is so wrong with QXR, should I be worried about using QXR on the track then. Mitsubishi have always put Castrol RS in before at my other garage, just assumed they would do the same again as I thought the Mitusbishi were under contract to use Castrol, hence their advertising on the car.

Will give BTR a ring tomorrow, thanks for the info.
Cheer
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Al,
Same oil in the g/box and diffs is ok , yr front diff is in the g/box anyway.
Hypoid oil is correct for diffs.

QXR in the engine tho , I wouldn't , leave it 4 now , but change 2 a full synth (Redline is THE ONE) no later than 3000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SilverRS,

I don't know anything bad about QXR, it's just the fact that it's semi synthetic that puts me off. Chunky is well up on the petroleum product side of things so I would take his superior knowledge on this one http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

Anyway, I think he's convinced me to go to semi synth now - there's a lot more semi at the right grade out there anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went back to the garage and he gave me couple of litres. Which is kept in a drum so I would like to know how he knows there's exactly 4.8 litre in the engine.
Car booked in to at BTR on Thursday to have the wheel aligment done, dont use the laser thing which is good as so far when it been done using a laser is always been out. Told the bloke today at Mitusbishi that the tracking was out, it went as follows.

ME- the trackings still out
THEM- Its been done to your specs
ME-But it pulls to the left
THEM-Must be your tyres then mate
ME- No, brand new tyres
THEM-Must be something else, what about your back wheels
ME-Thought you did that yesterday
THEM- No we can only do the front tyres
ME-DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can only do the front tyres, takes 2 hours and £80 mind you so must have been a good job, NOT as im still going to the left. BTR seem to know what their doing, third time lucky.

Anyway apart from the tracking incident the garage tried their best which I apperciate, even saying that they get the oil want next time. I think ive found customer serivce at last from a dealer.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How hard does the car pull to the left? It should pull slightly to the left due to the road camber.

Did they confirm that the tracking was actually out? If this is the case, the tyres will have worn incorrectly previously and could lead to the car pulling to the side now. Give it a few hundred miles (sort the tyres out) to see if it improves.

ps - You really paid £80 to get the tracking done?? Did this include setting up the full front end geometry?

Cheers,

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts