Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Well this is an interesting read as I was on a tyre testing exercise with Dunlop just before xmas driving an E9 360. We found that to induce over steer and ultimately a 4-wheel drift you had to be very aggressive with the way you drive the car. Backing way off (not breaking) turning into the bend, inducing under steer then full boring it through the apex. Only this was giving us a lot of lateral movement, and even that was only in the wet.

As said earlier on, it would be hard to tell what is causing the movement without seeing you in action. Maybe just back off a bit till the next track day meet, and ask one of the more experienced members to join you for a lap. It may well save you from stacking the car if things are getting that worrying.

Regards,

Dhanraz

· Registered
1,345 Posts
gaz007 said:
i thought my car handled crap with toyos T1 Rs ,they just dont grip but thats my opinion on them .bridgestones potenza ( forget which numbers ) they have a 2 inch semi slick out side edge on them .these tyres are the dogs.good ware rate and feel very good and grippy.100% reccomend them .
RE70 Standard fitment on STI scooby.....I think

by all accounts a good tyre.......

· Registered
754 Posts
I currently use some el cheapo tyres on my evo 1.. but aint had any issues with them yet think they where £50 each..

now and then in the wet i do get soem understeer but its easy to correct.. i have to push really hard to get the back end out.. a few m8s have old s13 200sxs even in the dry they loose traction way before i do.. and i moved from a toyota supra that was pritty good for traction and i must say that would go way before the evo as well..

aint driven the later spec evos with ayc tho so cant comment on those..

· Registered
9,500 Posts
It's strange that most people on here seem to be saying that they get understeer on their Evos as I have had an Evo 6 RS and that only ever seemed to over steer and now the 9 FQ300 I have got again only ever seems to over steer :confused:

I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
JonRS2 said:
It's strange that most people on here seem to be saying that they get understeer on their Evos as I have had an Evo 6 RS and that only ever seemed to over steer and now the 9 FQ300 I have got again only ever seems to over steer :confused:

I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner.
thats because you are most likely a better driver and carrying more speed into corners and others brake early and have to power out which gives under steer............

· Registered
9,500 Posts
mattty said:
thats because you are most likely a better driver and carrying more speed into corners and others brake early and have to power out which gives under steer............
Cheers Mattty

I thought it was probably coz I came from front wheel drive cars so was using a different cornering technique or something.

Well it's either that or I am not going as fast as the rest of you :angel:

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:

That's because they are more likely better drivers who are smoother with their inputs and don't barrel the car around corners.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
That's because they are more likely better drivers who are smoother with their inputs and don't barrel the car around corners.
Personally I prefer over steer to under steer as I find it much easier to control.

And seeing as you have never seen any of my driving I would say it was impossible for you to coment on how smooth my inputs are!!!

· Premium Member
1,967 Posts
mattty said:
RE70 Standard fitment on STI scooby.....I think

by all accounts a good tyre.......
think thats right without looking ,my car needs the bushes doing and it still handles very good .when iv polly bushed it it should be even better.iv seen stis fitted with them from new ( that tells you something ) .

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
And seeing as you have never seen any of my driving I would say it was impossible for you to coment on how smooth my inputs are!!!
I don't have to have seen it, the fact that your cars "never understeer" is all I need to know :)

· Premium Member
1,967 Posts
my evo never understeers too ,im not over aggressive and on a 4x4 high powered car its a good thing to oversteer.what you dont want in a car going into a tight corner on a country lane is understeer .if you do you will be saying hello to the cows .

· Registered
9,500 Posts
gaz007 said:
my evo never understeers too ,im not over aggressive and on a 4x4 high powered car its a good thing to oversteer.what you dont want in a car going into a tight corner on a country lane is understeer .if you do you will be saying hello to the cows .
Nice one Gaz.

Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

And I didn't actually say mine never under steered what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner - Aidy.

· Registered
581 Posts
if you come from fwd cars it is likely (as i do) that you naturally take less speed into a corner and then power round. personally i find that this induces oversteer on the evo now the geometry is correct and i quite enjoy it. the key is balancing the throttle on boost to get the balance right between traction and oversteer.

my evo understeered horribly before i got the geometry aligned correctly. also the tyres were crap. am now running the potenza re720s which seem to be a reasonably good tyre.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
I think you have got something there Mike as I came from quite a few years of front wheel drive cars and was also taught to power out of a corner when learning to drive over 20 years ago.

It is actually quite rare for me to get any slide on a corner but when I do it always seems to be the back end that goes out first.

I am running 18" Michelin Pilots and Ohlin shocks which hold the car on the road as good as I need it to.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
Originally posted by JonRS2
> Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

No. What you do have is overconfidence in your knowledge of driving. I won't comment on "natural ability", but what I do have is a fair amount of professional driver training which I'll choose to put more faith in.

> what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering
> through too much power on a corner

That's because you are applying the power too suddenly. Refer back to my previous point...be smoother with the power and you'll find the understeer you think your car lacks.

· Registered
754 Posts
i came from a 300bhp rwd car so yeah maybe we have differences in driving tho i have had the evo for 3 years now..
never have any issues in the dry could be the cheap ass tyres i use i suppose..

but then again i have never had any professional training or anything..

i think i really need to take the evo on a track to see whats it like on the limit.. i dont like doing it on the roads and i always hold back a bit..

anyway oen of these days when i get the spare cash ill pop along to one of the mlr track days :)

need to get soem preactice in cos ill hopfully have a gt4 to play with on the tracks rdy by then :)

· Premium Member
1,967 Posts
just to clear up my earlier post ( my evo never understeers ) in fact all cars do but some more than others .i should say i dont have an understeer problem .evos respond well to being driven hard into and out of corners especially powering round the corner power drifting .on gravel the rear comes round nicely aswell which is what you want it to do .rear comes round then power through .on gravel done the right way flick the car so the rear comes round ( when front of car is pointing at the apex full power is applied ) .it is very similar to tarmac driving obviously tamed down a bit .

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
> Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

No. What you do have is overconfidence in your knowledge of driving. I won't comment on "natural ability", but what I do have is a fair amount of professional driver training which I'll choose to put more faith in.

> what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering
> through too much power on a corner

That's because you are applying the power too suddenly. Refer back to my previous point...be smoother with the power and you'll find the understeer you think your car lacks.
Well then let me put it another way then.

All the professional driving training I have had all say the same thing that what you need to do is set the car up correctly for the corner with the correct use of power and positioning so as to create over steer and avoid under steer which is what I do now with out needing to think about it.

Not that I need to do it all the time especially on the road but the ability is there if and when I need it.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
All the professional driving training I have had all say the same thing that what you need to do is set the car up correctly for the corner with the correct use of power and positioning so as to create over steer and avoid under steer
Well I guess that makes sense. Watch any driving discipline on TeeVee and you'll see cars oversteering around every corner. It's just how you drive cars "proper".

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.