Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
swcfc said:
Before i bought my Evo i read a lot on here and elsewhere about how well the evo handles on corners and after reading about the ACD and AYC i was expecting the car to really stick when cornering. Now i might be doing something wrong or maybe theres something i need to check on the car but whenever i hit a corner or roundabout at speed the backend seems to let go so easily. Am i doing something wrong or is that the way it is supposed to handle, should i be drifting it round and just controlling the understeer. I checked the tyre pressures the other day and they seem fine, maybe wheel allignment is slightly out or maybe i'm just not doing it right. Maybe its just a case of practising to control the drift but i've had a couple of dodgy moments and i'm worried that i might push it too far. Is it better to keep it in a lower gear and keep the revs up, should i be braver and just let the traction do all the work ?

anyway i'm waffling now so cheers for any advice.

mark.
Don't pay too much attention to what you read. Without being in the car with you at the time it is impossible to tell if your car is handling as it should. It probably is, though, and you just have too high expectations. All road cars will only hit a tad over 1 G lateral force before the tyres break traction and the evo is no different. You'll get no additional traction in an evo over any performance car. They come into their own in when you step over the line and it gets a bit skittish, or when the road is uneven. In terms of actual grip they are no different to any other performance car.

In a stock set-up you will find that on the limit you're spending your time controlling understeer so don't worry about that. You can get over aggressive and provoke oversteer and the car will just bring it in line better than some cars.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
It's strange that most people on here seem to be saying that they get understeer on their Evos as I have had an Evo 6 RS and that only ever seemed to over steer and now the 9 FQ300 I have got again only ever seems to over steer :confused:

I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner.
That's because they are more likely better drivers who are smoother with their inputs and don't barrel the car around corners.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
And seeing as you have never seen any of my driving I would say it was impossible for you to coment on how smooth my inputs are!!!
I don't have to have seen it, the fact that your cars "never understeer" is all I need to know :)

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
Originally posted by JonRS2
> Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

No. What you do have is overconfidence in your knowledge of driving. I won't comment on "natural ability", but what I do have is a fair amount of professional driver training which I'll choose to put more faith in.

> what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering
> through too much power on a corner

That's because you are applying the power too suddenly. Refer back to my previous point...be smoother with the power and you'll find the understeer you think your car lacks.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
All the professional driving training I have had all say the same thing that what you need to do is set the car up correctly for the corner with the correct use of power and positioning so as to create over steer and avoid under steer
Well I guess that makes sense. Watch any driving discipline on TeeVee and you'll see cars oversteering around every corner. It's just how you drive cars "proper".

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
Aidy said:
Well I guess that makes sense. Watch any driving discipline on TeeVee and you'll see cars oversteering around every corner. It's just how you drive cars "proper".
No wait....I was watching "The Fast and the Furious" at the time....

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
gaz007 said:
a good rally driver just sets the car up for a corner and does it without even thinking about it .ask him how he does it afterwards and hed probably just shrug his shoulders .its called Natural Abilaty ,you either have it or you dont .
Can you ride a push bike? Do you remember when you first started and it was really hard? If you effortlessly got on a bike and rode it, and someone asked how you did it what would you do? Shrug your shoulders and say you don't know.

Were you born with a "natural ability" to ride a bike?

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
JonRS2 said:
You might have read all the books on it but doesn't mean you can do it.
And cos you're read other people write about doing it doesn't mean you can do it either.

Before you dig any deeper a hole I suggest you learn from Honest Abe;

"It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
Originally posted by JonRS2
> surely shouldn't that be

Yes it should. If you need to resort to pointing out grammar mistakes to deviate away from the point in hand you surely know you've lost.

> you don't very often make basic mistakes in grammer like that.

Not often, but it happens. I am human after all :)

BTW, my favourite irony is when someone points out a trivial mistake then misspells grammar :p

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
Originally posted by gaz007
> it doesnt matter how much pro driver training someone
> has .if the driver is clueless about handling and has no idea
> then that driver will never be any good at driving

True. I could practice snooker all year and I still wouldn't be anywhere near Hendry's level. Being the best at sport (or anything) just needs natural talent.

> do you really think they have had pro driver training ?

Yep.

> driver training is mainly for Volvo drivers who fancy
> getting upto the national speed limit safely.

You are then the worst type of driver of all. There is none as foolish as those who refuse to learn.

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
gaz007 said:
for some reason it didnt work on my pc that clip ,im presuming it was a clip of marko martin going round a long hairpin right hander ? completely sideways well before the the corner started and stays that way on full throttle all the way round .CLASS..
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

:D

· Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
37,851 Posts
swcfc said:
i've got my car going into the local mitsi dealer on Friday for a service, should i ask them to check the alignment ? will they charge me an extortionate rate to do it ?
Wheel alignment usually costs around £40 - £50. The dealer might not have the equipment. Few do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.