Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,967 Posts
MikeBee said:
i find if you leave it in a lower gear and drive it on the boost by opening the throttle early (ie. before apex so boost is coming on through apex) then play with the throttle very slightly you can get awesome grip through the 4wd.
Agreed.

I'm also new to driving Evo's, 4wd and turbos! (I'm from a N/A FF!)

I was also expecting to get blown away by the Evo's grip, but I seem to find myself drifting, rather than really sticking through corners. I think it's becasue I'm not driving it in a way which optimises the Evo's features:

I.e. I believe the AYC works by adding torque to the rear wheel which is on the outside of a turn, helping to push the car round (a bit like the "skid" steering of a tank where the outside track speeds up.)

HOWEVER, since I'm used to driving a N/A FF car (obvisouly without AYC) I tend to drive corners smoothly, trying to carry more speed in and being on the limit of grip while not accelerating throught the turn (else I would go too fast and lose grip) then only accelerate on the way out as the turn opens to a straight.

I think a better way to make the most of AYC would be to brake harder before the turn in, and then (as suggested above) keep the car on boost through the turn. If you think about it, the AYC can't be providing you with any benefit if you're not accelerating.

This could be cobblers, but I have noticed that on a few occasions I've boosted a bit more than I intended when accelerating away from traffic lights on a roundabout and I have noticed that the car feels completely different when cornering under high acceleration than when "coasting" around a corner.

(I'm going to book a trackday to find out what's best as I'd rather learn on a track than on a road.)

· Registered
4,967 Posts
MikeBee said:
Trouble is you end up going round corners so quickly in the Evo that if you screw it up you're in major dog poo! Track is definitely the best place to experiment :)
My thoughts exactly!!

Still, it would be nice if someone could confirm/deny my reasoning above? Is this the best way to get the most out of the Evo 4WD system? Anyone else with some pointers?

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.