Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Best thing to do if you can't stop it from going sideways is to fit windscreen wippers on the driver and passenger side windows so at least when you are sliding you can still see where you are going :crackup:

I have found with mine that when it does slide - don't lift off or it will just start fish tailing - just let the 4 WD do what it has to and you should find it will correct itself as long as you aren't trying to take a hair pin at 100 mph of course.

Only experience can help you master these cars fully so as suggested earlier go and do a track day or if not a big open car park and give it a go in there.

Enjoy the Evo anyway :D

· Registered
9,500 Posts
It's strange that most people on here seem to be saying that they get understeer on their Evos as I have had an Evo 6 RS and that only ever seemed to over steer and now the 9 FQ300 I have got again only ever seems to over steer :confused:

I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
mattty said:
thats because you are most likely a better driver and carrying more speed into corners and others brake early and have to power out which gives under steer............
Cheers Mattty

I thought it was probably coz I came from front wheel drive cars so was using a different cornering technique or something.

Well it's either that or I am not going as fast as the rest of you :angel:

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
That's because they are more likely better drivers who are smoother with their inputs and don't barrel the car around corners.
Personally I prefer over steer to under steer as I find it much easier to control.

And seeing as you have never seen any of my driving I would say it was impossible for you to coment on how smooth my inputs are!!!

· Registered
9,500 Posts
gaz007 said:
my evo never understeers too ,im not over aggressive and on a 4x4 high powered car its a good thing to oversteer.what you dont want in a car going into a tight corner on a country lane is understeer .if you do you will be saying hello to the cows .
Nice one Gaz.

Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

And I didn't actually say mine never under steered what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering through too much power on a corner - Aidy.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
I think you have got something there Mike as I came from quite a few years of front wheel drive cars and was also taught to power out of a corner when learning to drive over 20 years ago.

It is actually quite rare for me to get any slide on a corner but when I do it always seems to be the back end that goes out first.

I am running 18" Michelin Pilots and Ohlin shocks which hold the car on the road as good as I need it to.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
> Perhaps we have just got a natural ability to drive these cars properley.

No. What you do have is overconfidence in your knowledge of driving. I won't comment on "natural ability", but what I do have is a fair amount of professional driver training which I'll choose to put more faith in.

> what I said was I can't remember either of my Evos under steering
> through too much power on a corner

That's because you are applying the power too suddenly. Refer back to my previous point...be smoother with the power and you'll find the understeer you think your car lacks.
Well then let me put it another way then.

All the professional driving training I have had all say the same thing that what you need to do is set the car up correctly for the corner with the correct use of power and positioning so as to create over steer and avoid under steer which is what I do now with out needing to think about it.

Not that I need to do it all the time especially on the road but the ability is there if and when I need it.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
gaz007 said:
a good rally driver just sets the car up for a corner and does it without even thinking about it .ask him how he does it afterwards and hed probably just shrug his shoulders .its called Natural Abilaty ,you either have it or you dont .
Well put Gaz some people just can't accept others natural ability to drive better than the others.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
Well I guess that makes sense. Watch any driving discipline on TeeVee and you'll see cars oversteering around every corner. It's just how you drive cars "proper".
You might have read all the books on it but doesn't mean you can do it.

You have read the Karma Sutra - but it doesn't mean you can do that either :crackup:

So leave the driving to people that know what they are doing and go back to playing Gran Tourismo on your PS2 :crackup:

· Registered
9,500 Posts
GavEvo6 said:
I love lift-off oversteer in my 6! Its naughty but extremely nice :coolsm:
Nice one Gav - some of us have got it and others aint and they just can't accept it. :D

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
And cos you're read other people write about doing it doesn't mean you can do it either.

Before you dig any deeper a hole I suggest you learn from Honest Abe;

"It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
You keep believing what you want to believe.

And I will stick to knowing what I know.

I know every thing about every thing

I taught the Stig how to drive

BTW I was being sar-car-stick :rolleyes:

· Registered
9,500 Posts
At the end of the day whether you prefer under steer or over steer when cornering as long as you can control it and come out the other side with the speed you need then it just comes down to personal preference as to which is right for your own personal driving ability.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
And cos you're read other people write about doing it doesn't mean you can do it either.

Before you dig any deeper a hole I suggest you learn from Honest Abe;

"It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
surely shouldn't that be

And cos you've read what other people write about doing it :confused:

I must be getting to you as you don't very often make basic mistakes in grammer like that.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
gaz007 said:
yes ,well spotted John .i spotted several grammer mistakes in Aidys post too . cos ? and a better way would have been to say .Before you dig the hole any deeper .just sounds better .
PMSL Gaz

I love these freindly posts don't you.

It's great when someone bites - just makes them more interesting I recon. :crackup:

· Registered
9,500 Posts
Aidy said:
> surely shouldn't that be

Yes it should. If you need to resort to pointing out grammar mistakes to deviate away from the point in hand you surely know you've lost.

> you don't very often make basic mistakes in grammer like that.

Not often, but it happens. I am human after all :)

BTW, my favourite irony is when someone points out a trivial mistake then misspells grammar :p
Ok Granma you can have that one but make the most of it.

We all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils and delete buttons on computers :D

· Registered
9,500 Posts
We all know where Schumacher got his carving other drivers up off the start line skill from - his first job was as a White Van Driver.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
MikeBee said:
This thread has gone way way off topic.
So can any one remember was it was all about in the first place then? :crackup:

Was it about right turns on Motorways and ram raiding Aidy's piggy bank :crackup:

· Registered
9,500 Posts
So just to recap on the original post then.

Too much under steer and you will slide off also too much over steer and you will slide off and too much 4 wheel drift and you will slide off.

So basically which ever version of slide you prefer the less you do so you can keep the car under control so you can drive out the other side of the bend is all good.

You just need to find out which one works best for your own driving skills and practice it as much as poss untill you can get your car to corner as quick and as safely as possible and just when you think you have got it right keep practicing as you can always find ways to fine tune your techniques.

As there is such a fine line between driving right on the limit and driving just over the limit that only a lot of time and practice can help you get close to what you want to become a better driver.

So start off with a slow aproach speed into a corner and then put down a bit more power untill you feel the car start to slide and if the front goes first then lift off the power slightly untill the front comes back under control and then put the power back on but more gently and if the back goes out first then steer into the slide and try not to lift off only put more power on when you have got the back to come back in. All this will happen very quickly so the more you practice the better you should get at it. Also the smoother you input steering and power changes the easier it is to get it under control. But that will all come with practice and then you can start to enter the corner quicker and apply the same techniques. Practice makes perfect.

This may not be the text book way of fast cornering but it has always worked for me.

Just try it with a reasonable speed at first on a track or open space just to get the feel of under steer and over steer then slowly build up your speed as you get more confidant in your abilities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.