Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new owner of my V is having the following problem which I have never experienced before.

As per the pics - has anyone had this problem before?

It looks like radiator fluid on top of the radiator. Anyone know where this could be coming from?

Help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
looks like its the rad itself ,top of the rad plastic part is crimped to the alloy part with a rubber seal between , you need a new rad

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes I have had a rad fail on the top like that, if you get it warm you'll be able to see where it's leaking from.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
yes but not on an evo the top of the radiator is plastic and the seal has gone not much u can do about it new radiator time

john

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Seen a few posts when i searched which say that sometimes it can leak from aftermarket rad caps.

It has a Blitz aftermarket cap - do you think it is worth a go to change it to a standard cap and see if that solves it? Or does it look like it is deffo a new radiator?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Take it for a run, get the coolant up to temp then open the bonnet you'll be able to see bubbles appearing fron the edge of the plastic if it has failed

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. Thanks everyone.

The new owner lives in France.... so I have directed him to this thread to get some advice. Username (AD-hoc).

I feel terrible as he only picked it up a week ago and I have never had this problem before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same with my 5 it is the rad and it only does it under pressure,
im afraid mine only got worse and the only solutions are buy a new rad or a full alloy one but be careful i got 1 from ebay looks great but everything in wrong place. 1 radiator repair co offered 2 change the plastic for a brass top and re core for about £180 plus vat didnt sound right brass is quite heavy.
I bought 1 that was off a 6 £100 whish i thought was steep for a second hand 1 but works great so im happy. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts