Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just changed my coolant today and was wondering it sempt to take about 3 litre altogether, is this correct? just drained the rad as normal and used some blue coolant and distilled water about 50:50 ratio. I also gather you can drain more from the thermostat or something? is this necessary?

cheers.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
when ever ive done it, ive dropped the radiator fluid out then removed the lower hose to get some more out, then added 3 litres of coolant and then the rest with Deionized water. never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well as I said i did 50:50 so 1.5 lit coolant and 1.5 lit deionised water didn't remove bottom hose but read afew guides on here not mentioned lower hose so think it will be ok. I read the workshop manual though and that says 6 litre! but I gather thats when you remove the drain plug from the block so it says.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
id say i had at least 4- 5 liters drain out, 3 liters doesnt sound right. did you have the rad cap removed when draining the radiator?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id say i had at least 4- 5 liters drain out, 3 liters doesnt sound right. did you have the rad cap removed when draining the radiator?
yes mate I had rad cap removed when draining. So whats best method to get it all to drain out other than removing the lower rad hose if i lowered the jack alittle more come out but kept doing this till couldn't really get anymore.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Did you have the heater set to fully warm?

There's a drain plug on the back of the block too. It's a real pain to get to though.

The later cars take 6 litres, including the overflow tank. I'd expect this to be the same for most models...

Paul

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi youngsyp yes mate had heaters set to fully warm mate. yeh i read about the drain plug on the block something to do with condenser tank which said altogether including rad i gather was 6 litre, but I read a guide on hear just said about draining the actual rad with tap at bottom :) and thats all i seen other people do.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As said, id expect between 5-6 litres to go in on refil, ive never had to faf about with the plug on the block to get it done, having a tiny amount of coolant left in the block on change wont really hurt seeing as your putting in a lot more fresh stuff and if being changed regulary, no build up should occur from it.
To be honest Lee youve either got a blockage or a big air lock somewhere. id recomend get the Rad out completely and give it a good blast with a hose pipe. may be some crud buillt up in some of the channels inside the rad..

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys will try your advice... cheers steve I jacked the front of the car up :) will give the back end ago and will also remove the lower rad hose just to be sure and see how much comes out :)

·
Registered
36,183 Posts
Oh oh here we go again

could it be different on a 6 to a 4 :confused:
Yeah...the 4 is 4 litres and the 6 is 6 litres. That's why the the are called the Evo 4 and Evo 6:smthumbup

To be honest Lee youve either got a blockage or a big air lock somewhere. id recomend get the Rad out completely and give it a good blast with a hose pipe. may be some crud buillt up in some of the channels inside the rad..
Were you using a proper jack Lee or just the scissor jack that comes with the car?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You might have a slight air lock bud, is the top hose pressurising alright?

Is it using abit of water, i.e self bleeding?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might have a slight air lock bud, is the top hose pressurising alright?

Is it using abit of water, i.e self bleeding?
it doesn't seem to using water mate seems like possible air lock from what people are saying will compelety remove rad and clean it. I also read about a bolt on the stat that you remove and put abit of coolant in just get rid of any air locks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

Well I don't have a clue! :confused:

I went about having ago at another coolant change today. I started by letting the car cool about 5-10min or so as I had only driven car about 3min down road to my mothers house from night before so should be cool soon. Popped the bonnet removed the rad cap and then proceeded to remove the thermostat bolt. I then jacked up the car stuck my bowl underneath ready to catch coolant then I removed the tap from rad and fluid started draining... waited and waited (actually thought seems to be more coming out but I was wrong...). After it stopped dripping I then got under car and removed the lower rad pipe and abit more came out not an awful lot, I thought ok I'll jack back of car up as someone recommended see if anymore comes out nothing nada. :mad: Anyway thought oh well removed everything from under car put the tap back on jacked car down and started to fill rad with coolant got to about 2.5 litre of coolant and the rad was full. :confused: Now I thought i'll start car and let it get up to temperature (I still got the thermo bolt of as I was told fill system with it of run car and coolant should bubble out then put bolt back on) left it about 10min coolant in rad wasn't really bubbling and there was nothing at all coming out the hole of the thermostat. :confused: More :confused: thought balls turned car of before i waste any more fuel and then I started to fill the thermostat hole with coolant and soon realised the coolant was overflowing out the radiator. I put the rad cap back on then filled the thermostat hole with coolant and it started to flow out top then I started car and let it bubble out of the thermostat hole and quickly put the bolt back on. I then turned car off and filled the expansion tank to full mark with abit of coolant that was left and then rest i put distilled water in, that was it i'd had enough so all in I probably got just over 3 litre :confused:

all I can think of there must be abig air lock somewhere in the block :confused: I think it needs draining from that one at back of block :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Well I don't have a clue! :confused:

I went about having ago at another coolant change today. I started by letting the car cool about 5-10min or so as I had only driven car about 3min down road to my mothers house from night before so should be cool soon. Popped the bonnet removed the rad cap and then proceeded to remove the thermostat bolt. I then jacked up the car stuck my bowl underneath ready to catch coolant then I removed the tap from rad and fluid started draining... waited and waited (actually thought seems to be more coming out but I was wrong...). After it stopped dripping I then got under car and removed the lower rad pipe and abit more came out not an awful lot, I thought ok I'll jack back of car up as someone recommended see if anymore comes out nothing nada. :mad: Anyway thought oh well removed everything from under car put the tap back on jacked car down and started to fill rad with coolant got to about 2.5 litre of coolant and the rad was full. :confused: Now I thought i'll start car and let it get up to temperature (I still got the thermo bolt of as I was told fill system with it of run car and coolant should bubble out then put bolt back on) left it about 10min coolant in rad wasn't really bubbling and there was nothing at all coming out the hole of the thermostat. :confused: More :confused: thought balls turned car of before i waste any more fuel and then I started to fill the thermostat hole with coolant and soon realised the coolant was overflowing out the radiator. I put the rad cap back on then filled the thermostat hole with coolant and it started to flow out top then I started car and let it bubble out of the thermostat hole and quickly put the bolt back on. I then turned car off and filled the expansion tank to full mark with abit of coolant that was left and then rest i put distilled water in, that was it i'd had enough so all in I probably got just over 3 litre :confused:

all I can think of there must be abig air lock somewhere in the block :confused: I think it needs draining from that one at back of block :confused:
why do you think that any water will come out of the thermostat bleed bolt after running the car for a few minutes?the water will need to be up to at least 90 degrees before the thermostat will open.if the car only takes 3 liters why are you getting worried? you will never get rid of all the coolant in the system.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why do you think that any water will come out of the thermostat bleed bolt after running the car for a few minutes?the water will need to be up to at least 90 degrees before the thermostat will open.if the car only takes 3 liters why are you getting worried? you will never get rid of all the coolant in the system.
just from peoples comments saying they are getting 4.5-5 litre drained out :confused: its like where from :mhihi:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok then so I shouldn't be worried evonut?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
one thing I did notice thought when the evo was running the top rad hose was getting slightly warm after about 10min but the lower rad hose was stone cold... this right?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
one thing I did notice thought when the evo was running the top rad hose was getting slightly warm after about 10min but the lower rad hose was stone cold... this right?
10 minutes is not enough time to reach the thermostat opening temp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts