Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark5 and myself have been discussing buying a cheap car for trackday use. I, for one, don't want to wreck my beloved on the track, but want to get into this trackday nonsense.

We thought an EX2000 or even a Starion would fit the bill.

Is anyone else interested in a consortium? I live near Oxford and Mark is in the Midlands (forgive me Mark, I don't know exactly where). I don't think it would be too much of a problem if we had 4 or 5 owners; this would obviously keep costs down to very manageable levels, and I wouldn't be able to do many days anyway (I've got a house to finish building).

Obviously costs and storage would need to be sorted, but this thread is just to gauge interest. I know that Mark and myself don't want to spend more than about £1k each on the motor, plus running costs.

Could be a cheap giggle, and imagine owning more than one Evo (even if it is a zero)!!!

Who's interested?

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah , cud b up 4 that. Wotever it is it must b a turbo tho ;)
I cud find space 2 store it at my warehouse (Halesowen , just outside Birmingham) Lancer 2000 turbo wud b logical and good fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah , shud b pretty easy with all the experience from the EX boys on the forum , cheap 2 compared 2 the money my VI is absorbing ATM :(

I can already feel my limited spare time running between my fingers :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy,

Good to see this moving forward - don't worry about not knowing exactly where I live, I struggle with that sometimes as well :) I work in Brum not far from Evoboy and live near Lichfield in staffs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,
I thought I'd wait till you got back from hols. Also our friendly Taxman has given me a belated xmas pressie, so I got a bit of money to waste, I mean spend.

There are a couple of ex2000's for sale on the board. One is a bit pricey, £2.5k, but only 10 miles from me, so may ring him and have a butcher's. I also emailed a bloke from the Starion BBS, he only wants about £500, don't suppose it's much cop for that!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pondy,

If you see some of the starions on the MLR track days ,they are lethel weapons they will go as fast as the EVO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark, Evoboy

It would seem that a Starion 2l is the best bet for the money, as most of the upgrade parts for the EX2000 are robbed from it. It could be cheaper to mod. There is a nice (looking) one at http://www.autotrader.co.uk for about £2k (red one in Leicester I think).

Whadya think?

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice idea chaps, but the missus has my balls in a vice if i joined in. wouldn't the 2.6 starion be better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oli,

Go on, it's only cheap! My misses doesn't know (and I'm planning to keep it that way).

2.6 Starions are able to make BIG power, once the cat and tiny blower have been binned. Problem is there are hardly any about (2l or 2.6l). I have tried the starion-turbo site, but can't get the forum link to come up!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lightspeed,

Thanks, you really are the man! Looking at the bolt-on bits they do, I for one am sold on a Starion. Move over Blade, the £10 Hillbillies are comin thru:D:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andy , Mark ,
Might b worth waiting 2 c if anything cheaper shows it's face , basically we only need a sound car doesn't have 2 b in immaculate condition because we'll b gutting it anyway. The more we save on the purchase price the more we have 2 spend on performance and handling mods...............don't u think ?
R we decided on Mitsubishi then ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just checked out that site from Lightspeed , nice 1 m8 :) , yup the 2.6 wud appear 2 b a candidate 4 some fun :)

Do we keep it road legal or r we going 2 trailer it ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts