Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

As many people is saying that the conrod bolts should be upgraded when running higher boost,
I would like to know if anyone has ever seen an evo engine failure caused by the conrod bolts.

I have seen braked conrods or pistons, water ingress due to head gasket but never a braked conrod bolt!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Maxi,

I've never seen an engine failure caused by conrod bolts,
but I have had mine done whilst upgrading my boost,from
advice from Toney Cox of Ralliart, I've also spoken and had
advice from all the major tuning companies and they also
strongly advice on upgrading the conrod ARP bolts if you
are considering upping your boost from standard.
I suppose at the end of the day its a safety precaution
that will safe guard your car and the cost is not as
much as it sounds, but the car must stay at the garage
overnight for the sealant to bond.
Hope this is of help to youhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am neither an engineer nor a mechanic. I am sure that the explanation is much more complicated than it seems to a layman, but shouldn’t conrod bolt failure be caused by spinning the engine too fast, not from simply producing more power?

I too really wish I had a better understanding of the necessity for the bolt upgrade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont understand this either: the con rods may bend or brake, but not the bolts, right? Also, if the bolts are stronger, wouldn't this place even more stress on the bolts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had mine done and asked the same questions.

The answer I got was that the faster spin up of the engine caused by the higher power was what stressed the bottom end bolts. Not the out-right rpm of the engine.

I looked at the cost and thought it was not that expensive so better safe than sorry. Some people on this site have fitted them themselves so you could save the labour too.

Not the most exciting upgrade, but everyone I spoke to said it was best to have it done (these were the proposed people to the work though!!)

Cheers

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the bolts are stronger it can only be better,but what I'm saying now is that even if you run higher boost or power and you don't upgrade your internals the parts that can brake are the conrods or the pistons but not the bolts.

Off course it's not a too expensive modification and it's easy to recommend it as probably the costumer will accept to do it as they say that it's more safe for the engine,he would probably not accept to spend more than 1000£ if they tell him to upgrade the conrods or even the pistons.

I would just like to know if anyone has ever seen a broken engine caused by the bolt itself.

For the same price is probably more important to upgrade the head gasket that can cause water ingress,I think that most of rally teams are doing this.

(BTW,the stock internals doesn't look really that strong,the best is to change everything for a JUN 2,2l strocker kit,but it's a little bit expensive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had this discussion with Ralliart recently. If you are running the car at greater than standard boost , the standard bolts may stretch , which could let the bearings move and lead to an expensive bang! I've not seen or heard of this happening but when the Boost goes up in my VI I will be fitting the ARP bolts.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts