Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just done a search and unearthed the offsets for an EVO 4 (46mm) and an EVO 6 (38mm). It's confused the hell out of me! I thought the 6 would need a bigger offset due to the calipers? Or am I not looking at it correctly? Weird...

Also, does anyone know if I'll get any adverse side-effects from putting a wheel with a 38mm offset on a car that should have a wheel with a 46mm offset? Should I drop down a tyre size (i.e. from a 225 to a 215) to help matters?

Help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Grog,

Offsets work reversely. The higher the offset, the more a wheel will sit in the arch, the lower the offset, the more it sticks out.

Its very difficult to explain without a picture to show you, but, the offset measurement in millimetres is the distance from the centre of the wheel (when viewed from the top) to the point where the wheel would mount the hub (where the bolts go in). If you can picture it, the bigger the offset, the further away the mounting point from the centre (more towards the face of the wheel) making it sit in more.

An offset of 0mm would mean the mounting point of the wheel would be exactly in the centre of the wheel. This would give the wheel a very deep dish or an extremely long holes for the bolts to be put through before they reach the hub.

Does that explain?? I hope so !!!

As for adverse effect, a car requiring 46mm offset having 38mm wheels fitted may cause more tramlining and the wheels may not sit in the arches properly. Having said that, wheels from the E5 and E6 do fill the arches quite nicely on an E4.

Can't say much else about it I'm afraid, hopefully someone can add some more.

Cheers

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Si,

Ahhh... I get what you mean... Cheers for the explanation! Knew it couldn't be what I was thinking...

I know that EVO 5 and amp; 6 wheels fit the 4, as I've seen and heard of plenty of people with them, but never knew if they had any adverse effects. Do you think that the 8mm would make a lot of difference? I'm staring at the ruler on my desk, and 8mm doesn't seem much to me...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it would make a significant difference. You will have a slightly wider track, you shouldn't get any rubbing. You may get some tramlining effects as the set-up on the E4 is desigined for the higher offset.

However, when I brought my car in from Japan, I found it had wide-track spacers on the front wheels (these were almost an inch thick) which would make the offset 26mm !! the wheels almost stuck out of the arches and would occasionally rub. I can't say I noticed any tramlining though.

I have now taken the spacers off and there is no difference in the way it drives, it doesn't rub anymore though !!

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other thing to think about with off-sets is the extra stress being put onto the wheel bearings in the hub. The wheel bearings should be in line with the centre line on the wheel with standard factory off-set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Si,

I'm not suprised that your wheels rubbed. The walls on your original tyres are two feet high!!!http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > [img]http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > [img]http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > Like me, I can't see that it will affect it that much, so I may give it a go. I think once they're on there, I'll get the geometry and alignment sorted to try and combat any problems.

RS,

Good point about the wheel bearings! Damn! Mind you, there are a fair few 4's with 5 and amp; 6 wheels on, and I've never heard of rumblings about shot wheel bearings due to this. Maybe they're just keeping quiet though... Anyone had this problem?

Anyone else think an 8mm varience will make a difference?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aha.when i bought my car from japan it had 18x8`s on it(horrible things) they had rubbed on the inner wing a little i changed them for originals within 3k oi had to replace both wheel bearings, also some thing to bear in mind is that as wheels are wider they will pebbledash the paint work and arches with road debris, my side skirts are a testiment to this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts