Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help , I have a 2MB connection with BT Yahoo but I am only getting 288kbps :confused:

I have run a virus check and checked to see if there are any broadband problems in my area but everything seems fine. Where do I go from now???

Any help would be much appreciated

Matt
:)

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Try it again at a different time of night.

If your speed goes up at 3 o clock on a Monday afternoon for example, then Yahoo have got you on a massive contention ratio and you are sharing your connection with a lot of other heavy net users.

Only way out is with a proper ISP.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi m8

But I have never had this problem before :confused:

Do some online gaming now and again and it is unplayable now. My ping has gone from 38 up to 300 and above :confused:

Dont get it and certainly not paying £30 a month for it :eek: Just wondering if it could be something I have done :confused:

Matt

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Leonard said:
Hoping someone can help , I have a 2MB connection with BT Yahoo but I am only getting 288kbps :confused:

I have run a virus check and checked to see if there are any broadband problems in my area but everything seems fine. Where do I go from now???

Matt
mines always 576 and in the shop even faster as u know i always respond so fast :D

mate maybe get them to check your line and increase it from their side or maybe your modem is fecked is it one of those routers or the plug and go stuff

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Leonard said:

Dont get it and certainly not paying £30 a month for it :eek: Just wondering if it could be something I have done :confused:

Highly unlikely?

I presumed you would have done the normal before coming and asking? You know, reboot everything including your Modem/Router?

If not then do that first before changing ISP's :D

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Leonard said:

Matt
I think you need to clear all those pictures of Heidi Klum off of the system Matt and then it may go faster ;) :D

Bex :angel:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ScoobysSuck said:
might be you've got spyware installed - try javacool's spyware blaster (free) - but make sure you use the built-in update feature atleast once a month.
Cheers m8 will check it out :)

edited to add you have been on here since Oct 2003 and have made only 21 posts :eek: Then again quality over quantity is best :D Hell just look at my posts :crackup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
my Mum always says "if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing" apart from which I've only just got broadband, and browsing using a 38K dialup connection was just to painful to mention.

You might also run Lavasoft's Ad-aware (also free) - these spyware programs are very cunning, so I'm afriad you need a couple of different programs to counteract them.

You say you're running anti-virus software, but have you got a firewall installed? XP-SP2 includes one, if not Norton Internet Security, BlackIce and some free ones available. If other operating system, then you need to get one. Before I got a ADSL modem with built-in hardware firewall my software firewall claimed I was getting hammered (50+ attacks per day) and they could be doing anything with your system - browsing your harddisk, identity theft, installing software on your machine, anything - sounds a bit alarmist, but it is very possible.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Aidy said:
Spyware, viri etc won't reduce your bandwidth.
blaster variants doing port scans?
proxy hijackers like Cool Web Search?
becoming a zombie mail gateway?

I beg to differ on the bandwidth hogging virii can do sir :)

PS Leonard, I'd be interested to know where you got the "288kbps" figure from, if you're talking about the download speed reported by IE it's in kilobytes per second (my 512k DSL connection has a theoretical max of 64k as reported by the dl window)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I beg to differ on the bandwidth hogging virii can do sir
Completely agree, your average spyware programs are not going to effect bandwidth by a lot (possibly not even noticeably) but if you're really infected then they could have a very noticeable effect.

But zebbedi is also right you need to find out what speed your modem is connecting at - there should be some software that came with it that'll tell you.

Incorrect installation of the filters on the modem and other phones on your system could also be a factor. Also try plugging your modem directly into the BT socket where your phone line comes into the house - long phone extension cables can also degrade the signal strength which reduces connection speed.

Is this a new broadband connection you've got, or has it be fast before and is now a dog?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
:rolleyes: If I have a 2mb of bandwidth and it is sat there doing nothing I have 2mb bandwidth. If I am downloading some massive files I have 2mb bandwidth. If I am browsing the net whilst 10 spambots are sending a million e-mails an hour I still have 2mb bandwidth.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hogging bandwidth, reducing available bandwidth, what's the difference (apart from semantics)? Yes I know what you mean but even I am rarely that pedantic Aidy (and I have a reputation for it) :D

If the modem has actually connected at a slower speed, it is most likely to be noisly line conditions at the time of speed negotiation with the DSLAM at the head end (assuming it's a DSL connection of course). The easiest check is to pick the phone up and listen for static and distortion on the line (if it's a noisy line there isn't much you can do except wait for it to clear), and the easiest "fix" once it has cleared is to power cycle the modem or router and let it renegotiate with the DSLAM. If you use a USB DSL modem then remember to reconnect once you plug the modem back in (assuming you are not set to autodial).

Most online games will still run fine with a 300 ping and "only" 5k of bandwidth either way (equivalent to a 56k dial-up connection). Since it is mainly FPS gamers that moan incessantly about ping and lag, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, should it ever happen again, you can tell Steam you are on a 56k dialup, and change the netspeed in Q3A / UT2k4 to something smaller. Q2, Q3A, CS and UT2k3 were all perfectly playable on 56k dialup and will be even more so on a throttled DSL, once you get them to stop spamming as many packets per second to the server ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.