Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First of all any ideas why i get a window at the bottom of my page saying Hotkey Keyboard. It has just started coming up. Is it anything dodgy or do i just close it. Also can i stop it from coming up all the time.


Second thing i got sent a spoof email a few weeks ago which i knew nothing about at the time. It was supposedly from Ebay fraud investigation team , asking me to sign in as they thought someone was using my account. Well being a dumb arse i did next day went to sign in and i could not get in to my email account or my ebay. So i contacted ebay and someone was selling computers on my account. They stop the account.

I still have not had anything back from yahoo after about 10 emails i just keep getting the same email back giving me reasons to why a maybe not be able to get in to my account.
Has anyone got any advice to what i should do. Or anything they would do that i have not apart from the obvious and not answer spoof emails :rolleyes: .

Cheers
Tim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
This is geeky but it's the way:

Install the following programs, run them, update the definitions within them (they'll be a button in the program saying update definitions) and then run a full scan.

1. Ad-aware
2. Spybot (as Makes says)
3. Spyware Doctor
4. Webroot Spy Sweeper

All of these are available from www.download.com

Once you've done this your computer will almost certainly be clear of anything dodgy, and will remain clear.

If the virtual keyboard still pops up by itself then it is in the Start Menu under "Start Menu - Programs - Startup" - delete it from that and it'll stop starting. If it's still starting automatically you have to get really geeky and risk upsetting the computer. Try this first if it doesn't work then I'll tell you the next step!

As for the ebay account I would take this very seriously - you can end up owing money or even going to jail so make sure they're all very aware your account has been stolen and that you have nothing to do with it. Police crime reference numbers may even be necessary. I've been hugely stung by both ebay and paypal for thousands - it's a risky business!

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this mean my computer has been affected aswell as my accounts.
I have changed my password on my Mlr got a new account as i am sure there was emails with passwaords etc.
Should i change all my passwords.
Is there anyway way they can see or hooked up to my computer to see what i change my passwords to.

Thanks for all your help

APART FROM AIDY :moon: :crackup: .

Cheers
Tim.
 

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,883 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Computer experts help me please.

Evo Nut said:
Very funny :moon: .
If after all the security warnings, adverts in the press, articles in the news, features on TeeVee, warnings from your ISP etc etc etc you still fall for a phishing scam then I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy :shrug:

RE your HotKey thing starting up try to select the options to see if there is one that says "Start automatically" or something like that. Failing that look in your StartUp folder (Start->Programs->Startup). If it is there you can remove it by right-clicking your taskbar (where there are no application icons) and selecting Properties, Advanced tab then click Remove.

Failing that it will be in your registry. Start->Run and enter "regedit" (no quotes). Navigate to one of the following keys to see if you can see it;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
 

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,883 Posts
Originally posted by Evo Nut
> Does this mean my computer has been affected aswell as
> my accounts.

No, they just have your eBay and (it seems) Yahoo passwords.

> Should i change all my passwords.

You might as well.

> Is there anyway way they can see or hooked up to my
> computer to see what i change my passwords to.

No. They just want to hijack your eBay account so that they can sell goods to people that they don't have so they can take the money and run. A buyer sees that the item is being sold by an established member with feedback so think they can be trusted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FQ400-#018 said:
This is geeky but it's the way:

Install the following programs, run them, update the definitions within them (they'll be a button in the program saying update definitions) and then run a full scan.

1. Ad-aware
2. Spybot (as Makes says)
3. Spyware Doctor
4. Webroot Spy Sweeper

All of these are available from www.download.com

Once you've done this your computer will almost certainly be clear of anything dodgy, and will remain clear.

If the virtual keyboard still pops up by itself then it is in the Start Menu under "Start Menu - Programs - Startup" - delete it from that and it'll stop starting. If it's still starting automatically you have to get really geeky and risk upsetting the computer. Try this first if it doesn't work then I'll tell you the next step!

As for the ebay account I would take this very seriously - you can end up owing money or even going to jail so make sure they're all very aware your account has been stolen and that you have nothing to do with it. Police crime reference numbers may even be necessary. I've been hugely stung by both ebay and paypal for thousands - it's a risky business!

Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply mate.
Should i download 1 in particular or could i even do all of them.
Do i delete anything afterwards or leave them on here.

I have an old Mc Afee 2004 ver 8.0 shall i get that off mycomputer or is it worth leaving it on there.

Cheers
Tim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aidy said:
> Does this mean my computer has been affected aswell as
> my accounts.

No, they just have your eBay and (it seems) Yahoo passwords.

> Should i change all my passwords.

You might as well.

> Is there anyway way they can see or hooked up to my
> computer to see what i change my passwords to.

No. They just want to hijack your eBay account so that they can sell goods to people that they don't have so they can take the money and run. A buyer sees that the item is being sold by an established member with feedback so think they can be trusted.
Cheers Aidy.
Is that really you
Has someone taken over your user name and account etc. Your being helpful :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer experts help me please.

Aidy said:
If after all the security warnings, adverts in the press, articles in the news, features on TeeVee, warnings from your ISP etc etc etc you still fall for a phishing scam then I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy :shrug:

I have never had any security warnings or heard anything about it hardly ever get time to read a newspaper let alone watch T.V..If i had i definetly would not of even chanced it normally got my head screwed on with things like this. I have heard the odd things but not these particular emails , banks etc yes and unknown emails but not actual ebay ones.

Also this was laid out so well it was unbelievable. It came from the so called fraud investigation team. I thought it was important to sort it out straight away it was the way it was worded and so convincing :cry: .

Cheers
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Sorry - not personal but don't listen to Aidy lol - don't go to the registry and start editing keys - that's the next step I was talking about and if you do something wrong it'll destroy your computer. I'll cover the correct way of doing it later if you still need it.

About the programs - install all 4. I use all 4 regularly to keep my computers clean - and amazingly each one will find stuff that the other doesn't.

Keep your antivirus software, upgrade it if you can, but keep in mind that these day's its pretty much useless. Newage viruses are all online and hence spyware/adware etc - Norton/Mcaffee etc are not able to deal with them very well.

Regarding your passwords - if someone has installed some spyware on your system they have access to everything. Literally. All your e-mails, your internet and messenger history, your passwords, every key that you press on your keyboard and every mouseclick, screenshots of what you're surfing. Basically anything and everything.

If you had some bad sh!t on your system and didn't remove it before changing all your passwords etc the hacker has all your new passwords. The only way is to clean the system entirely, or to disconnect from the internet permanently.

Also - don't worry too much - these are the worst case scenarios - there are millions of computers out there with spyware on them so the chances of the hacked specifically choosing your machine and then putting in effort to get all your passwords and info are quite low.
 

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,883 Posts
I agree with FQ400-#018. If it comes down to listening to someone who has been a computer professional for over a decade vs listening to someone who has allowed himself to be scammed for thousands I know who I'd trust.

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,716 Posts
Without wishing to be rude, take the computer to somebody that knows what they are doing and get them to clean it up for you, also, get an up to date virus checker, Why oh why do people insist they must be virus free because they have a 6 month old copy of a virus checker on the computer. Fact, if your virus checker is more than a month out of date you may as well delete it, it's pretty useless.

Given your apparent level of technical competence (again, not being rude, just going from what you have posted) you may very well have a completely compromised computer, If you were a friend of mine and you asked me to sort it, i would do a fresh install of windows and install a copy of AVG free virus killer and a copy of the Microsoft adware sweeper, and then educate you on their usage and updating them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weebl said:
Without wishing to be rude, take the computer to somebody that knows what they are doing and get them to clean it up for you, also, get an up to date virus checker, Why oh why do people insist they must be virus free because they have a 6 month old copy of a virus checker on the computer. Fact, if your virus checker is more than a month out of date you may as well delete it, it's pretty useless.

Given your apparent level of technical competence (again, not being rude, just going from what you have posted) you may very well have a completely compromised computer, If you were a friend of mine and you asked me to sort it, i would do a fresh install of windows and install a copy of AVG free virus killer and a copy of the Microsoft adware sweeper, and then educate you on their usage and updating them
Thanks for your reply.
So what is the best thing to do.
Can i still carry on using my computer.
Also do i still install the programs mentioned.
Already done spyware doctor found 350 infected files.

What should i do about passwords email etc and user names and passwords to all the forums i use.

Cheers
Tim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,716 Posts
Evo Nut said:
Thanks for your reply.
So what is the best thing to do.
Read the advice on this thread and follow it?

Evo Nut said:
Can i still carry on using my computer.
Bit late to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Evo Nut said:
Also do i still install the programs mentioned.
Already done spyware doctor found 350 infected files.
Do the rest and you will find some more.

Evo Nut said:
What should i do about passwords email etc and user names and passwords to all the forums i use.
Don't tell me, you use the same password for everything?

Change it everywhere you can think of, right now. Make it something completely unconnected to your existing one, and try to make it a bit random, letters and numbers kind of thing.

And get somebody who knows computers to have a look at it and talk you through virus and malware scanners and the updating of. And do a google for 'phishing' so you should be able to tell a genuine mail from a scam in future, hint, you will never recieve a mail asking you to click here and enter your passord and username, also, never click a supplied link for stuff like that, if you want to go to ebay, type www.ebay.co.uk in the address bar (just to let you know how stupidly easy it is to send you somewhere else, click the ebay link)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,120 Posts
Aidy said:
I agree with FQ400-#018. If it comes down to listening to someone who has been a computer professional for over a decade vs listening to someone who has allowed himself to be scammed for thousands I know who I'd trust.

:rolleyes:
What you on about? I've never said anything yet (referring to the first part of the paragraph)? ;)
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top