Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,
Anyone know what compression pressure i should have?. My car is the 1800GSR (4G93T), Done a test last week and got a reading of 185psi on all 4 cylinders but i have no info on what the standard readings arehttp://194.93.140.171/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.
I'm trying to sort out what's causing my coolant to overflow so much after a good on boost drive. I've done a coolant system pressure test which was rock solid with no pressure drop!, now i've done a compression test which showed all cylinders giving the exact same pressure (185psi). So that rules out a head gasket problem (doesn't it?).
Any ideas??.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I went on the Track last week the car was seen to loose water through the overfill tube on the expansion bottle. This is the only time it has done this, I think as i knew about it only cause of water droplets on the wing. The GSR dosnt have an oil cooler, dont know if this makes much difference overall, but my cooling fan comes in pretty quickly. The other thing could be the radiator is full of shite so isnt working properly. My car is nearing a decade now, also how tired it the cap, could be orginal so letting water out, just a thought.
Sorry this dosnt help with your question very much.
Cheers
Al

PS it was only 4 laps on the track before it did it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that all the compression readings were the same indicates that your head seems OK. If you are still worried than you can get a dye to put in the coolant what will react with any exhaust gases present and change colour. I think I saw it in the Demon Tweaks catalogue, I remember thinking at the time it was a bloody good idea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: GSRed

I also own a gsr. Have not done a compression test yet so no figures to compare but may do one this week to tell you
Also what boost pressure are you guys with 1800,s running???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Have changed the Rad, Thermostat, Rad cap and flushed the system a few times. It seems like the turbo isn't getting enough coolant through it causing it to Boil what ever amount does during on-boost driving!http://194.93.140.171/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >. I'm going to strip out all coolant lines to see if there's any sh!t restricting the flow.

HH6,
I had a feeling that question was on it's way too!![img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having a boost controller fitted tomorrow, so my give an answer to his favourite question.
Well only if hes lucky though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
akiwi - ~0.8bar if my Omori is to be believed. I'd love to check it's accuracy.

From memory I think 180 is pretty good, there was a thread on the GSR_Evo list a while back about compression and I think all the figures were between 160 and 190, with 160 being shagged and 190 being about as good as you were going to get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Akiwi,
Boost peaks at 1.04 bar and normally holds around 0.96 bar. This was on a day in heavy traffic with air temperature of around 25|PLS|oC. This is of a digital boost contoller so I think must be pretty accurate.
Dont know orginal boost levels.
Hope this helps
Al
PS Wuld run more boost with new fuel pump and larger intercooler |PLS| oil cooler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feels alot better at the top, will run with it on and off tomorrow to gauge a better feel for it. But I think its made a big difference, can now feel a defintie kick in your back, even when your driving.
Just limited by fuel, or lack of it on the top as fuel pump is on the edge, also need the intercooler to make the most. Will get there in the end though.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SilverrsII

Thank you for answering my question. I also would like to know what your ignition timming is set at {standard is 12 degrees BTDC with a piece of metal tabe across the bolt head} also what fuel do you use

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL http://194.93.140.171/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > [img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Sorry, just call me Noster-dum-ass [img]http://194.93.140.171/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use petrol, sorry super unleaded, plus the occassional octane booster, different types different times. also some times use Nitro methane when im feeling lucky.
Timing is standard
Thank you and good night (done in a Tommy cooper voice)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://194.93.140.171/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Sorry akiwi but how many times are you going to ask those questions?

Explain why you want to know peoples settings? I think you will find if your are thinking of altering the ignition timing then it will be individual to the state of tune of your particular car, someone elses settings may not work for you.
I think you will find if knock sensoring is fitted (is it on a 1800GSR?) advancing the ignition anymore than standard would be pointless as the ECU would just lower it anyway to prevent detonation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Akiwi,
The reason why people are getting rude is because everytime you post you ask the exact same two questions. What boost? What timing? I personally have replied to you saying it makes no sense to play with the timing, just leave it stock, with explanation of why. And as other people have repeatedly said, boost settings (or even timing settings if you play with them) will depend on what other mods have been done. It is possible to run 24 psi on an 1800GSR with the right mods and fuel, but if your car is stock it's not going to last very long at that boost.

In the time you have spent asking those questions over and over again, most people on this board have added 100 horsepower or probably bought a newer Evo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry about that guys
The reason i ask is when i brought my car it was not very fast so i put the boost up to 15 psi and it didn't go any better.Then a guy at work (Auto electrician) suggested i heck the timming so i did and it was retarded to 2 degrees after TDC. So i set it to standard 12 ATDC and amp;gt;It went bloody hard :) for a day then i noticed a knocking noise. It had run a big end bearing. Now what i am not sure about is was the timming retarded to stop the knocking noise (as i would of) or did 15 psi boost run the bearing in less than an hours driving.Which i doubt it would of . After replacing the bearings some locals tell me to set the timming to 12 and some tell me to set it at 5 degrees.

Now that is a long story andthat is why i ask as i don't want to run any more bearings or worse blow a piston :( :( :(

akiwi

ps: blairevo3 or should i just call u blair gabities

1 - 19 of 19 Posts