Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone do this for a living. i do domestic gas work and have all the relivent quallifications to do so but would like to go into comercial side of it. i understand this requires another gas course to go on but what does it involve. ie how different from domestic is it. other than gas pressures, testing procedures ,flues and ventillation. also how long are the courses :smthumbup

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
anyone do this for a living. i do domestic gas work and have all the relivent quallifications to do so but would like to go into comercial side of it. i understand this requires another gas course to go on but what does it involve. ie how different from domestic is it. other than gas pressures, testing procedures ,flues and ventillation. also how long are the courses :smthumbup
Its very, very similar, but everything is double the size (obviously) I used to do the I&C work but we lost the contract and mine ran out. Somethings differ slightly, u16, u32 mtrs as opposed to the domestic type, so just a bit more theory b0llox to go through.

Its about a week or 2 long, or it was when I did it, if you can do the normal Corgi criteria then you'll have no problem with I&C work bud.

That place in Rotherham GASUK will put you through it, if its still open.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its very, very similar, but everything is double the size (obviously) I used to do the I&C work but we lost the contract and mine ran out. Somethings differ slightly, u16, u32 mtrs as opposed to the domestic type, so just a bit more theory b0llox to go through.

Its about a week or 2 long, or it was when I did it, if you can do the normal Corgi criteria then you'll have no problem with I&C work bud.

That place in Rotherham GASUK will put you through it, if its still open.
:smthumbup
GASUK. is that the one on the hellaby industrial estate. my mate said theirs loads of work going for comercial side of it at the moment so thought id give it a bash as im sick of workin in s*** holes all week

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
:smthumbup
GASUK. is that the one on the hellaby industrial estate. my mate said theirs loads of work going for comercial side of it at the moment so thought id give it a bash as im sick of workin in s*** holes all week
yeah Sie it is mate, bloody thorough though they are there :handsup::eek:...not like the one I did in Barnsley back in the day aka' "guaranteed pass" :lol:

Aye, its good to be able to throw your hand at owt mate in the current climate, I work for Northern Gas Networks, National Grid it is over your way, more work than you can shake a stick at, busy in winter, quiet in summer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah Sie it is mate, bloody thorough though they are there :handsup::eek:...not like the one I did in Barnsley back in the day aka' "guaranteed pass" :lol:

Aye, its good to be able to throw your hand at owt mate in the current climate, I work for Northern Gas Networks, National Grid it is over your way, more work than you can shake a stick at, busy in winter, quiet in summer :rolleyes:
i did my training in barnsley about 3 year ago. we spent more time in the pub next door :mhihi:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had mark jackson. someone called graham aswell whos now a corgi inspector

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
i had mark jackson. someone called graham aswell whos now a corgi inspector
We had a bloke called Mick with ginger hair, reyt boring fart but he was alreyt :lol:

I think I know who you mean.

Not sure if that place is still open or they moved or somehting, but might be worth looking into if they can do it, there's a place at Leeds aswell nr Elland Road where i did mi emergency service provider thingy a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they were in the process of moving when i were there. we went up to the new place to hang some boilers in the workshop. think the new place use to be a old folks home. that old place was droping to bits.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
If going to go from domestic to commercial, appliances can be very different, obviously. Experience is key as always, and with out proper training (And depending on what test centre you use) you may find it a struggle just to ventre into the commercial/industrial world. Remember you'll be responsible for the heating of blocks of flats, factories etc.. alot of responsibility can ride on it.

Our company does probably 70% commercial/industrial and the rest domesctic and its a great mix, domestic can get boring quickly so doing the big stuff definately keeps it interesting and generally better paid.

Just remeber its not an overnight thing especially if you're going to be working on forced-draught burners, radiant tube heaters etc.. as these can be ultra sensitive and can easily lead to lethal situations if someone doesn't know what they are doing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts