Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?? My car when its cold ticks over at 2500-3000 rpm. it is running an apexi power fc and has a tial dump valve is this creating my embarrassing problem?? it also hunts on tickover sometimes

thanks in advance:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mine does it too, also on Apexi FC. In the really cold it would sit at 2500 once I have backed out of the garage and hunt as well which made me really popular. But only when the outside temp is below 8 or so degrees. I have found the following though, which may be useful:

1) Start the car, and dont touch the throttle until the water is up to 70 degrees. Mine will sit at 1500 rpm and then gradually drop, by 70 degrees it will be at 950 rpm. Once warm, it idles fine.

2) If that doesn't help, putting the aircon and lights on brings the high idle down to around 1500 when cold, it will gradually drop as it warms up, unlike the inside of the car which will be really cold from the AC.

3) Keeping the clutch up (gearbox obviously in neutral) drops it by another 200 or so RPM.

It's all a bit odd, I'm convinced there is some sort of witchcraft involved. It's only been like that since I had GSC S1 cams fitted.

I don't have a MAF anymore, can never remember if that it the L or D jet.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
From the sounds of it the f/c limts have been set a bit to low or to close to the tick over, this will cause the car to tick over high when cold and also hunt when it get warm, as the ecu is looking for the tick over setting.

So if they are set low ie 1200rpm and tick over 1000rpm, It will rev upto 1200rpm cut fuel so it then drops past 1000 so this makes it hunt up and down etc etc.

TechnicalThunk, yours will be the same as above or it could do with a little bit more timing in the map on tick over;)

Lee

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the sounds of it the f/c limts have been set a bit to low or to close to the tick over, this will cause the car to tick over high when cold and also hunt when it get warm, as the ecu is looking for the tick over setting.

So if they are set low ie 1200rpm and tick over 1000rpm, It will rev upto 1200rpm cut fuel so it then drops past 1000 so this makes it hunt up and down etc etc.
can this be altered manually or will i need mapping etc..???

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Right......

You need to have the screen on Monitor, setting and etc.

Go to settings push next.

Go to Revs/Idle push next.

The next screen is the one you need to change/edit write down all your old settings just in case.

You will have 3 Idle settings.

1 for no electrics (day driving)
1 for with full electrics (night time lights etc)
1 for air con etc.

Set these to what tick over you would like, air con set 100 rpm above normal driving

You will have 3 F/C setting

1 for air con etc.

You will need to play with these a bits to get it just right If they are set high bring them down to around 500 rpm higher than your tick over. If they are set to low bring them up. just use the arrows to select what one you need to adjust and use the arrows to lower and higher the numbers

Also there is another setting that you can turn and and off as the ecu can get "stuck" and just need a kick start.

For this you need to go into ETC from the front screen.

Go into function select, push next.

Then look for number 5, Idle-Ig Cntrl make sure this is turned on, If it is turn it off then back on a few times and this will kick the ecu up the arse and get it to idle, as its all in Japanese you wont know what on and off is, but if you run a standalone boost controller the setting in the power will be turned off so that symbol is off.

I think thats it....Oh the picture with just box is the revs/idle settings you are looking for the one with 2 box's is the Idle-Ig Cntrl settings

Also for got to add, after you have set this all up disconect the battery for 10 mins and restart the car and let it learn again.
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
You may need to make the ecu relearn the idle control.

Warm the car up, then reconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Then reconnect, start car and let it idle for 5 mins with nothing electrical switched on. Then turn all electrics you can on (full beam, rear demister, blowers etc) for a further 5 mins. If you have no other faults with the car it should then deal with your idle issues.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right......

You need to have the screen on Monitor, setting and etc.

Go to settings push next.

Go to Revs/Idle push next.

The next screen is the one you need to change/edit write down all your old settings just in case.

You will have 3 Idle settings.

1 for air con etc.

Set these to what tick over you would like, air con set 100 rpm above normal driving

You will have 3 F/C setting

1 for air con etc.

You will need to play with these a bits to get it just right If they are set high bring them down to around 500 rpm higher than your tick over. If they are set to low bring them up. just use the arrows to select what one you need to adjust and use the arrows to lower and higher the numbers

Also there is another setting that you can turn and and off as the ecu can get "stuck" and just need a kick start.

For this you need to go into ETC from the front screen.

Go into function select, push next.

Then look for number 5, Idle-Ig Cntrl make sure this is turned on, If it is turn it off then back on a few times and this will kick the ecu up the arse and get it to idle, as its all in Japanese you wont know what on and off is, but if you run a standalone boost controller the setting in the power will be turned off so that symbol is off.

I think thats it....Oh the picture with just box is the revs/idle settings you are looking for the one with 2 box's is the Idle-Ig Cntrl settings

Also for got to add, after you have set this all up disconect the battery for 10 mins and restart the car and let it learn again.
Lee
You may need to make the ecu relearn the idle control.

Warm the car up, then reconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Then reconnect, start car and let it idle for 5 mins with nothing electrical switched on. Then turn all electrics you can on (full beam, rear demister, blowers etc) for a further 5 mins. If you have no other faults with the car it should then deal with your idle issues.
OMG thanks chaps i really appriciate your help i will break it tomorrow(i mean sort it) :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts