Lancer Register Forum banner

Coilovers (Fun) or Forged (safety)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
if any of you have read the feature on my car in march jap performance you would know my reply
several years back i agreed a price for a stroker with rc but they refused to do it UNTILL i uprated my brakes and suspension first

so basically my vote wasnt going the forged route first

kev

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I voted coilovers and assume you'll help me convince the Mrs to buy your Billies ;)

MB
Funny you say that! Was gonna phone you earlier to ask you if you wanted first refusal! :smthumbup You'd also get the lowering springs aswell!

I'm sure your missus would appreciate the Billies more than you anyway ;)

Let me know mate, when they come off I won't do anything with 'em untill you know what you want to do.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
wow dan this vote is close i've just voted for the forge route.. :smthumbup having confidence in your engine's abiltity to live up to the fast road/track action they go through is worth every penny.. it don't matter how much improvement the coilover's can give you.. without a good strong beating heart at the centre of you evo.. it's just another piece of road furniture;) steve

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
After much thought and a little persuasion, I'm going to get both done :D.

Got a great price from RC Developments on supplying the suspension (Tein Monoflex) and [email protected] Motorsport has given me a brilliant price too to do the rebuild and fit the suspension.. Cheers again to both parties. So hopefully by the end of the first week of April I shall have a forged engine and coilovers fitted to my car :coolsm:

And thanks to all the members for making this a harder decision than it already was!! At the end of the day, although I haven't got the suspension I intially wanted in the first place, I'll have a decent set-up with the monoflex not to mention a strong engine to take the extra abuse :D

Cheers again guys, and thanks for all your opinions and perspectives' :smthumbup

And thanks to Danny (RC) and Rich (RG) again for the advice and good prices.. :D

Dan.

· Registered
9,314 Posts
coilovers i'd go for before a forge build :)

but a bit like the claw says, if ya could compromise a tadge maybe uprate the engine a bit, and go for the coilovers & handling.

you'd need the better setup for more power id say anyway.

im getting mapped tomorrow and im already worried about running out of brakes :lol:

· Registered
10,958 Posts
I know I may be in a minority of 3 here (the other 2 being my hubby PaulB & BillyT) but IMHO the best fast road set up for an VIII MR is the standard Bilsteins. Go forged but uprate the brakes.

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I know I may be in a minority of 3 here (the other 2 being my hubby PaulB & BillyT) but IMHO the best fast road set up for an VIII MR is the standard Bilsteins. Go forged but uprate the brakes.
Thats the thing, I don't do alot of 'Fast road' Just wanna be fast on track! I mean I do go fast on the road, but like saving the proper driving for track.

Brakes are as good as they need to be ;) XP10s (Coupled with RBF600) do the job nicely so can't see the point in spending well over a grand replacing something that perfectly capable! Admittedly the standard pads and fluid are shocking!

I don't think people are reading my previous post where I say that I am doing both now - Tein Monoflex and a forged engine thanks to [email protected] Hence the smileys on my post just now!

Got to be the closest vote in MLR history!

· Registered
3,155 Posts
How do the Xp10 behave on the road? Do they squeak? Do they need warming up? You got me curious...

I am surprised you say the brakes are very good as standard as most upgrade the brakes even on standard power.

SK

Brakes are as good as they need to be ;) XP10s (Coupled with RBF600) do the job nicely so can't see the point in spending well over a grand replacing something that perfectly capable! Admittedly the standard pads and fluid are shocking!

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
How do the Xp10 behave on the road? Do they squeak? Do they need warming up? You got me curious...

I am surprised you say the brakes are very good as standard as most upgrade the brakes even on standard power.

SK
The cold bite on the XP10s is the same, if not better than the XP8. If you don't bed them in properly then they will squeal, after doing the trackday at Brands last week I used the first session out to bed them in. So far I have had not a hint of squeal since bedding them in!

The XP10s will just generate a little more heat, dust and will shorten the life of the disc slightly, obviuosly.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.