Lancer Register Forum banner

Coilovers (Fun) or Forged (safety)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck between the 2 :eek:

Do I go for Coilovers to strengthen the grip, braking etc.. side of things or do I play it safe and forge the engine so she doesn't blow on me along with sorting a few other things for a little extra safety ie. fueling and that..

The only coilovers I would be interested in is the Exe-tc Fast road set-up, which would cost roughly £2000ish once fitted (About £2500ish With top mounts) And lets say a forged engine with some added fueling bits would about £2000 aswell... Would that sound about right? Please correct me if my estimates are way out!

Or maybe you have some other ideas? Say, if I were to have £2500 max to play with. - What would you do?

Help!

Cheers for any info - all appreciated!

Dan. :D

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nathan took you out in mine at Brands didn't he ?

How did you find the coil overs ? even though I have lower spec ones compared to the ones you are considering

Would your car with standard suspension be capable of handling a lot more extra power eg shouldn't you forge the engine after or at least at the same time as doing big power mods ?

Same for brakes ?

Just my 2c

:)
Your car felt good Raj, the difference between your coilovers and my standard suspension was night and day. This is why its a tough choice. Brakes are not a problem I believe with correct fluid, pads etc.. the standard set-up is fine..

I don't consider my car to have big power mods, the bottom end could go on for 50000 miles without a problem, but, it may not, as I'm entering the sprints this year coilovers would be a great asset for times etc.. but forging, obviously, wouldn't have much affect apart from peace of mind... So I'm leaving it up to you guys!!

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mate,

If you are going to do more trackdays/sprints then go with set up, If you want to do more of the pod and fast road go for a forged engine.

As for turning down the boost on track you can do this to be safe but with a good set up coilovers/brakes you would be just as fast if not faster..:eek:

Lee
Good point Lee! Coilovers would be much more affective than the extra boost lol! So that may be my answer right there I like the pod but only a few times a year, so would not be a problem!

Go for coilovers, then when she blows up, you'll have to forge her too :smthumbup
Good thinking... But she'll probably be off the road for a long time!

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is it that cheap to forge your engine 2k ? :confused: i thought it was alot more than that. but maybe you could compromise and get suspension and get a half forged engine from Norris ? e.g get some steel rods for 1k. strong bottom end then. and the rest of your money on some decent coilovers. :D
The steel rod thing from Norris will end up costing about £1300-£1400 and that only really leaves a £1000-£1100 for coilovers inc. fitting and set-up. Had my heart set on the Exe-tc coil. but maybe go for Tein or the like instead? I don't really want to sacrifice quality if that makes sense?

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bite the bullet man and do both :coolsm:
I really would love too! This will pretty much be 'the last' big mod I do for ages (don't we all say that!?) This is pushing the budget as it is but feel it has to be done, whatever it turns out to be! I know whatever I have done I will probably regret not doing the other!! Or will I?

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replys guys!! I shouldn't of gone to bed so early!

I think Monoflex will be the way to go, I will see if what money I have left and then maybe drop some rods in, or, in 6 months time get 'em done then, that would seem to be the best compromise I think.

Nathan, I wouldn't bother with the EDFC mate so £150 saved already! I could always add it in later if I really wanted it ;)

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Setup/Handling first every time Dan, unless just doing drag then power can make up for a lot, maybe think about a map check to make sure all is tiptop especially if you still have that misfire??, stock engine should be good for awhile with mods you have as long as the mapping is spot on :D

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian! The miss fire was just the plugs! Thankfully! It ran at Brands perfect allday considering the car ran about 150-160 laps! I like a bit of drag :gay: but I'm not that interested in getting really really low times, just the best I can get from my car.

Burgers22 carried out a log on my car and everything is spot on, minimal knock if any at all, inj. duty cycle fine everything spot on! So I'm happy with the way the car is running now, just maybe turn down the boost to 1.65-1.7 bar for a bit of extra safety.

What coilovers would you recommend from your experience Ian, PM if you want to save the thread going off track slightly! Or though I seem to have made my mind up now so could turn the thread into another 'what coilovers do I need!?' thread.

Just for the record, I don't really care how comfortable/uncomfortable they are as I don't use my car as a daily driver, so track based suspension is what I'm after ;)

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi lads, my thinking is, is that maybe I should settle for the Monoflex Coilovers and get the Norris rod change done, that way I think I can get the best of both worlds. Seems to be the most logical solution.

I don't intend changing my turbo either, so power will never be above 440-450bhp.

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Was looking at this deal from RC Develpoments, seems good value for money..

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=190004

If I read it right it means you pay £1080 inc. vat and thats the coilovers supplied, fitted and set-up.

A quick question for any suspension gurus, what advantages are there of having pillow ball top mounts? Are they worth the money over the 'standard' Tein top mounts that come with the kit??

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Now i know that's not an option..:shake::D:D

As you've said, rods & Suspension jobs a good an............:smthumbup

4 pages for this..:yawn::crackup::crackup::crackup:
Tell me about it Staffi - and I'm still not 100%! It would be nice to try the EXE-TC and Tein back to back just to feel the difference or whatever.... I'm losing sleep over this :crackup: :yawn:

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I voted coilovers and assume you'll help me convince the Mrs to buy your Billies ;)

MB
Funny you say that! Was gonna phone you earlier to ask you if you wanted first refusal! :smthumbup You'd also get the lowering springs aswell!

I'm sure your missus would appreciate the Billies more than you anyway ;)

Let me know mate, when they come off I won't do anything with 'em untill you know what you want to do.

· Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
After much thought and a little persuasion, I'm going to get both done :D.

Got a great price from RC Developments on supplying the suspension (Tein Monoflex) and [email protected] Motorsport has given me a brilliant price too to do the rebuild and fit the suspension.. Cheers again to both parties. So hopefully by the end of the first week of April I shall have a forged engine and coilovers fitted to my car :coolsm:

And thanks to all the members for making this a harder decision than it already was!! At the end of the day, although I haven't got the suspension I intially wanted in the first place, I'll have a decent set-up with the monoflex not to mention a strong engine to take the extra abuse :D

Cheers again guys, and thanks for all your opinions and perspectives' :smthumbup

And thanks to Danny (RC) and Rich (RG) again for the advice and good prices.. :D

Dan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.