Lancer Register Forum banner

Coilovers (Fun) or Forged (safety)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck between the 2 :eek:

Do I go for Coilovers to strengthen the grip, braking etc.. side of things or do I play it safe and forge the engine so she doesn't blow on me along with sorting a few other things for a little extra safety ie. fueling and that..

The only coilovers I would be interested in is the Exe-tc Fast road set-up, which would cost roughly £2000ish once fitted (About £2500ish With top mounts) And lets say a forged engine with some added fueling bits would about £2000 aswell... Would that sound about right? Please correct me if my estimates are way out!

Or maybe you have some other ideas? Say, if I were to have £2500 max to play with. - What would you do?

Help!

Cheers for any info - all appreciated!

Dan. :D

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm stuck between the 2 :eek:

Do I go for Coilovers to strengthen the grip, braking etc.. side of things or do I play it safe and forge the engine so she doesn't blow on me along with sorting a few other things for a little extra safety ie. fueling and that..

The only coilovers I would be interested in is the Exe-tc Fast road set-up, which would cost roughly £2000ish once fitted (About £2500ish With top mounts) And lets say a forged engine with some added fueling bits would about £2000 aswell... Would that sound about right? Please correct me if my estimates are way out!

Or maybe you have some other ideas? Say, if I were to have £2500 max to play with. - What would you do?

Help!

Cheers for any info - all appreciated!

Dan. :D
if it were me i would forge the engine if i could do it all over again i would have a manky looking forged engine lol

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was my money then i'd be going the coilover route first :)
This is what I thought at first, then I thought if the engine were to go or something I'd be ****ed, but then again I could always turn down the boost! (But thats boring lol)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Nathan took you out in mine at Brands didn't he ?

How did you find the coil overs ? even though I have lower spec ones compared to the ones you are considering

Would your car with standard suspension be capable of handling a lot more extra power eg shouldn't you forge the engine after or at least at the same time as doing big power mods ?

Same for brakes ?

Just my 2c

:)

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Hi Mate,

If you are going to do more trackdays/sprints then go with set up, If you want to do more of the pod and fast road go for a forged engine.

As for turning down the boost on track you can do this to be safe but with a good set up coilovers/brakes you would be just as fast if not faster..:eek:

Lee

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nathan took you out in mine at Brands didn't he ?

How did you find the coil overs ? even though I have lower spec ones compared to the ones you are considering

Would your car with standard suspension be capable of handling a lot more extra power eg shouldn't you forge the engine after or at least at the same time as doing big power mods ?

Same for brakes ?

Just my 2c

:)
Your car felt good Raj, the difference between your coilovers and my standard suspension was night and day. This is why its a tough choice. Brakes are not a problem I believe with correct fluid, pads etc.. the standard set-up is fine..

I don't consider my car to have big power mods, the bottom end could go on for 50000 miles without a problem, but, it may not, as I'm entering the sprints this year coilovers would be a great asset for times etc.. but forging, obviously, wouldn't have much affect apart from peace of mind... So I'm leaving it up to you guys!!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mate,

If you are going to do more trackdays/sprints then go with set up, If you want to do more of the pod and fast road go for a forged engine.

As for turning down the boost on track you can do this to be safe but with a good set up coilovers/brakes you would be just as fast if not faster..:eek:

Lee
Good point Lee! Coilovers would be much more affective than the extra boost lol! So that may be my answer right there I like the pod but only a few times a year, so would not be a problem!

Go for coilovers, then when she blows up, you'll have to forge her too :smthumbup
Good thinking... But she'll probably be off the road for a long time!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
is it that cheap to forge your engine 2k ? :confused: i thought it was alot more than that. but maybe you could compromise and get suspension and get a half forged engine from Norris ? e.g get some steel rods for 1k. strong bottom end then. and the rest of your money on some decent coilovers. :D

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
coilovers bud your engine should be fine mine is on 45000 miles now no issues
running near or over 400bhp for 30000 of them trackdays included

peter

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Good point Lee! Coilovers would be much more affective than the extra boost lol! So that may be my answer right there I like the pod but only a few times a year, so would not be a problem!

Good thinking... But she'll probably be off the road for a long time!
Don't believe you... You'd get a loan... or another loan... to get it done and back on the road

But Anyway, do as Blair suggest, Coilovers, Unless you prefer straight lines only and brick walls on the bends...:crackup::eek::crackup:

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is it that cheap to forge your engine 2k ? :confused: i thought it was alot more than that. but maybe you could compromise and get suspension and get a half forged engine from Norris ? e.g get some steel rods for 1k. strong bottom end then. and the rest of your money on some decent coilovers. :D
The steel rod thing from Norris will end up costing about £1300-£1400 and that only really leaves a £1000-£1100 for coilovers inc. fitting and set-up. Had my heart set on the Exe-tc coil. but maybe go for Tein or the like instead? I don't really want to sacrifice quality if that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The steel rod thing from Norris will end up costing about £1300-£1400 and that only really leaves a £1000-£1100 for coilovers inc. fitting and set-up. Had my heart set on the Exe-tc coil. but maybe go for Tein or the like instead? I don't really want to sacrifice quality if that makes sense?
i know what you mean. i guess if you've got your heart set on exe-tc then get them, they won the coilover mlr test, and they look the dogs danglies. your engine hasn't done many miles yet, plenty more life as it is so u could wait a while for that....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bite the bullet man and do both :coolsm:
I really would love too! This will pretty much be 'the last' big mod I do for ages (don't we all say that!?) This is pushing the budget as it is but feel it has to be done, whatever it turns out to be! I know whatever I have done I will probably regret not doing the other!! Or will I?

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
I really would love too! This will pretty much be 'the last' big mod I do for ages (don't we all say that!?) This is pushing the budget as it is but feel it has to be done, whatever it turns out to be! I know whatever I have done I will probably regret not doing the other!! Or will I?
You might REGRET the one over the other and you know the one i think...:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 83 Posts