Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got a TME, bought from new, and now has 6000 miles on it. On my first service (1000) miles I mentioned that the gearbox was a bit “weird”. It feels as though the “teeth” in the box are not lining up when you change gear. The dealer garage said that its just because the car is new and the box is just bedding in.

Since then the problems I have encountered are:

Sometimes when you come to a halt it doesn’t want to go into 1st or 2nd or reverse.

After I have done a quick start it seems as thought the box becomes very tight, as though the clutch is wearing out, doesn’t want to go into 1st or 2nd, and 3rd becomes very stiff.

The biting point on the clutch is very high (close to the steering wheel). I have only noticed this recently because I wasn’t paying too much attention to the car! Is this normal?

When I change form 2nd into 3rd over 6000 revs, when you press the clutch it seems to jump out of gear.

And finally under general driving the box is VERY notchie?

I know that the car has not had any grief, do I have a Donald ducked clutch / gearbox? Or is it just me not used to a “performance” cars gearbox?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
must admit my GSR VI box is notchy or tight especially from 2 to 3 and its only got 1500 miles on it..thats through all rev ranges..Is this normal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Original Post:
must admit my GSR VI box is notchy or tight especially from 2 to 3 and its only got 1500 miles on it..thats through all rev ranges..Is this normal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bulldog,
That clutch bite point is much higher than mine (12k on the clock) and I don't have any probs with gear selection.

Don't intend 2 offend but do u (or any1 else that may drive the car) have any bad driving habits , such as using the clutch 2 hold the car on inclines , using the clutch pedal as a footrest , resting yr hand on the gearlever etc.
U may not even b aware of doing these things until u think about it , as I said please don't take offence , I just know that some of the least expected people I know r guilty of 1 or more of the above :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulldog,

On my TME (done 5000miles) the clutch point is fairly close to the floor. The workshop manual states that the bite point should be 70mm or more from the floor (not carpet). So mine is a bit low probably. Distance of pedal at rest from floor (not carpet) is 162.5-165.5mm from floor although how you are meant to measure 0.5mm in this circumstance I dont know.

The gear box is a bit crunchy although the change is very slick. When i first got the car i had problems with the 3rd to 4th change at high speed. However I have now got the hang of it.

You could try changing the gear oil as many peolpe have commented that the standard stuff is a bit ####y and gear shifts have improved after changing. See thread from HH6 on gearbox oil called importatnt notice or summat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bull dog .

I have just had a complete gearbox overhaul ,shafts bearings .and I have the same sort of symptom.
last box was great ,but can't shift as fast at the moment with the new one.I will uprate the clutch for sure next time around ,as running standard on my E4.
Don't think anything to worry about ,but obviously if it gets worse ,or you notice less pick up in high gear then the clutch may be on the way out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bulldog,

Some further things 2 check,
Clutch is actuated by hydraulics , master cylinder on the bulkhead , slave (clutch operating) cylinder on the front of the gearbox , check 4 any fluid leaks on these cylinders. If the seals weep or leak on either cylinder it cud cause yr symptoms.

Gearlever operates the box via cables , mal-adjustment or failing cable cud also cause yr symptoms.

If nothing is obvious with the above try bleeding the clutch hydraulics it may just b air in the system :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts