Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Jim'll Fix It,
The clucth on my TME is Donald Ducked. I am in a heated dispute with the company I purchased the car from as to weather they should replace it under warrenty or not. Concidering the car is only 3 months old and 6500 miles, I think they should !
However in the LIKELY event of thm telling me where to go what are my options with my clutch? I heard some mention of ceramic, twin plate, paddle etc. Please shed some light on this.
All I use the car for is everyday driving, the odd bit of jip but nothing to spectacular, which clutch should I go for and why. ( Rough prices would be nice )

Please Jim can you fix it for me?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think AP do a decent clutch at a fairly decent price. Twin plate jobs such as HKS are mega-bux, circa £1,600.00 !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bulldog

I have got the AP organic in my VI, it stood up to 8 full bore launches at a recent shoot out without any problems. The feel for road use is pretty much as standard and not too expensive.

Rgds Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

I was looming at the Graham Goode site - Thay have an Organic clutch for £120 and a Ceramic one for £150 - They seem like good prices. I thought I was going to be paying £300-£400. For this sort of value I think I'll go for the Ceramic one? What do you Guys think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried various clutches, but have refused to pay for twinplate assemblies. I'm making 342 lb.ft. and do sprints, so have knackered a good few. Std clutch gives 6 launches and dies. Helix won't handle the torque any way at all. I found a good cheap solution from Alcon. They modify your cover assemblyand supply a variety of cerametallic driven plates from 2 to 6 paddle, with or without damping springs. Cost is about £160 plus VAT and wear rate is good. Wheelspin is easy in the dry, but makes good 1/4 mile times more reliant on driver skill. Sidestepping the pedal won't give the best time. I use 6.5-7.0 krpm and feed it in fairly fast, trying to limit wheelspin.
Downside is noisy operation and some judder and harshness, but pedal pressure is light.

Contact is Tony Bonser at Alcon on 01827 312500.

Be prepared to **** gearboxes if you launch a lot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Erm Evo Too, I'm confused, are you telling me to go for a recon clutch? Or buy a pair of clutch plates from Alcon? Me no understand?

I only use the car for fast road driving and everyday use. So I think a 6 paddle is out of the question. What will the 2 paddle cerawhatever be like? is that the one that is £160 ish?

Enlighten me Master Yoda - Teach me the way forward !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bulldog

Sorry if I've made matters worse! The Alcon solution is to have your own pressure plate totally reworked to alter it's clamp load and mechanical advantage. You get a nice light pedal pressure and loads of torque capability and it's cheap!. But, if you're not into big launches and use the car mainly for fast road and no 1/4 mile stuff, I don't recomend it. Paddle driven plates are noisy during engagement and tend to snatch and judder more than the full disc type.
Their advantage is that they dissipate the heat of a launch better. Also the ceramic material maintains a high coefficient of friction at higher temperatures than organic material.
The AP organic clutch sounds the best option for you, as it's not too expensive and it's good in everyday use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts