Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was passed onto me from a top tuner. :D

Drive car in 4th gear with foot flat on throttle..

Whilst holding foot flat on throttle, dip clutch and then release clutch quickly..

clutch should re-engage strongly and suddenly.!

If it re-engages with a slow whirring type pickup, it is on last legs. ;)

This is a dramatic test, which will see if car has at least 15% clutch life, if clutch is already slipping this could kill it..,

but if you're like me and have trackday in couple of weeks and want advance knowledge of clutch, then is good test, coz you have time to replace before event.

I was worried about my clutch, but test proved positive, so will go from there. :D

Rob

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think it was you that recommended us to do this test when I posted a thread is my clutch slipping or something similar.

At the time when we tried this it showed that the clutch was fine. But maybe that was due to the clutch pedal was springing back approx 1inch after you had taken your foot off the pedal. This was due to crap in the clutch master cylinder. Give it a clean and renewed all fluid & the pedal has been fine ever since. The clutch didnt slip for atleast 3 - 4 weeks after. The clutch is on it's way out, slips under power from 3 to 4k revs onwards with turbo kicking in at the mo. Taking it easy for now until the weather gets a bit warmer to get the clutch changed.

I think if we do this test now our clutch would go bang. But yes we have done this test before with other cars and it has proved that the clutch was on it's way out.

Hope this reply helps.

Trina

·
Registered
666 Posts
Any good mechanic knows this is a way of finding out if the clutch is on its way out and is a quite good way of determining if it is knackered or not.

Carl

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
what if your clutch is on 30%...you do test and it slightly knackers it to 15% of it's useful life...so you'll be stuffed when it comes to your trackday :crackup:

just do a couple of hard launches....that way you'll be sure :D

...sorry it's early, and I'm in a strange mood! :D

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
another test is to go from 3rd to top gear and plant the throttle at about 30mph. if it slips then its time for a new one.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Okay what about this one, has happened to me a few times now, accelerating hard, say get to 2nd or even 3rd revs got to about 5k with my foot planted, then the whole hard thuds and the revs go straight to the red line! As in goes to the red limiter without any pull. i.e. drive.

How's that one? :coolsm: :blah:
Clutch?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
or try this test:-

rev car to 6500rpm slowly drop clutch keeping foot fully planted on gas. wait until you can smell burnt clutch.

then you know its time for an uprated clutch.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
oli goon said:
or try this test:-

rev car to 6500rpm slowly drop clutch keeping foot fully planted on gas. wait until you can smell burnt clutch.

then you know its time for an uprated clutch.
:crackup: Nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts