Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon chaps,

A couple of queries that i hope your all going to tell me is perfectly normal for an Evo (as i haven't driven to many).

When i bought the car i insisted on the dealership fitting me a new clutch, i have got the receipts for the clutch from Mitsubishi but the labour was done by their own dealer mechanics (not Mitsu) and im abit worried they have f***ed it up.

ok down to the issue:

1) When the car is cold and i depress the clutch the revs rise slightly, this doesn't happen when the car is warm - is this normal?

2) When im giving the car some serious stick (say changing above 6k) the next gear slots home nice and quickly but when i get back on the gas there is a slight hesitation before the boost comes back in. Is this normal and just the turbo spinning back up - or could it be to do with the clutch not disengaging properly - the revs dont blip or anything it just seems to take it a good second for the power to come back in?

3) Setting off from stationary seems to result in a slight juddering, i know performance cars are always harder to set off in, but i just cant seem to get master a smooth start.

Answers on a post card as im just slightly concerned things are not right.

Rob

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
it all seems ok to me mate tbh it takes a while to get the pulling off smooth but you get used to it after a bit my first evo took ages bouncing up and down the road trying to get it smooth lol and as for the revs rising slightly when clutch is depressed mine is quite erratic due to my ecu until its warm then it calms its **** down a bit lol

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply Tuppy - i hope its all ok but just worried as i havent driven many so dont have alot to compare it to.

Anyone else have any views/advice?

Rob

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
All sounds normal(exept perhaps Q2 which wont be clutch related). The juddering is down to the new clutch on a used flywheel,and should get better.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hope was it was related to the clutch being new :smthumbup so hopefully thats all it is. I have got it booked in at Browns in Preston a week today for them to inspect it.

Anyone know what question 2 could be? Or should there be a slight lag before the boost comes back in after changing gears at high revs?

Rob

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick update on this, im now about 400 miles into using the new clutch and i have noticed the juddering when setting of is settling down and its getting abit easier for me to find the bite point. Still doesn't seem right but definitely better so hopefully it is just the clutch bedding in against the flywheel.

Rob

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Q2 might be due to the SAS (secondary air system) if it only does it in the high gears after you have been at full throttle for a few thousand RPM.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Q2 might be due to the SAS (secondary air system) if it only does it in the high gears after you have been at full throttle for a few thousand RPM.
Its only when i am at full throttle and changing above say 5000rpm Russ, depress clutch, change gear, clutch out, back on the gas and it just sort of lags a second and then bang - back on the boost. For all i know this is perfectly normal as i haven't driven to many Evo's! Any help appreciated :smthumbup

Rob

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Yep 100% normal on an evo with std ecu and SAS.

I hated it on mine, so i've not got it connected now :D

On my first evo when it first happened I thought the engine had died, as when it kicks in the engine note changes and you get a dull exhaust tone.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep 100% normal on an evo with std ecu and SAS.

I hated it on mine, so i've not got it connected now :D

On my first evo when it first happened I thought the engine had died, as when it kicks in the engine note changes and you get a dull exhaust tone.
Just needed my mind putting at rest. So now the question is: what the hell is the SAS and how do i destroy it :naughty::mhihi:.

I best be hitting the search engine.

Cheers Russ :smthumbup

Rob

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
No probs mate.

On mine I just didn't reconnect it when I did the ecu swap, and wired it to the egr circuit instead.

When the engine comes out, the SAS won't be going back in :D

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Forgot to say, sas is basicly there for hologomation perposes and on a road car all it really does is spoil the drive :D

It's supposed to lower the exhaust temps between gear changes I think, by injecting cool air into the exhaust manifold, but it's pointless imo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts