Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just taken the Tommi in for cambelt change, lash adjusters and noticed on the way to Yeovil that the clutch seems to be slipping.
Has anybody fitted the clutch below and any comments on it.

Steve

Exedy Fast Road Organic Clutch Kit - Evo 4/5/6
Item number 4089
Clutch plate with Newly developed asbestos free friction facing is used which has high heat resistance and high burst strength characteristics. Superior in shift operations and half-engagement feeling, this clutch kit is recommended for fast road use. This is combined with an uprated cover that achieves a 40% increase in clamping load over the Genuine OEM part thus allowing /enabling a higher torque transmitting capacity. Ductile pressure plates are used for all kits giving a high burst strength.
Kit also includes the correct thrust bearing.

Suitable for:

Evo 4, 5 and 6

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on, somebody must know something about this clutch.

Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I know a little about clutches (it's what I do for a living !)

Comments on what you posted ;)

Valeo F808Mc is the best 'organic' facing material around a "Newly developed asbestos free friction facing " would worry me alittle !

"Superior in shift operations and half-engagement feeling" lots of pressure plate lift and cushion is not always a good thing. What an EVO likes is low slip times and a more 'grabby' feel to pressurve the facings.

40% more clamp load fine, if you can live with 40% more pedal effort, there is a direct relationship. most performace clutches work like this.

Ductile cast iron pressure plates, the same as everyone else !

·
Registered
147 Posts
I`m looking at the moment for replacement of my twin HKS clutch.
It`s impossible to do everyday drive with it.
After speaking with couple people i want to go ahead with Alcon 6 Paddle.
Whate are your comments
Thanks

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I read on the manufacturers details the Alcon 6 paddle is alright if you don't do much town work. I want something thats user friendly and that will last longer than the oem one.
Steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
That`s my problem
I`m living in London and need to travel to and from work
Plus weekend trips, maybe gentle track day
I was recommended Alcon as strong but smooth clutch that will handle 400bhp

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ive just fitted a greedy paddle from camskill did a good deal and its 'livable' theres feel to it! had an act 2600 before and that was either in or out,no feeling and heavy pedal and it only last a few hundred miles,this ones doing miles better,still heavy pedal but not leg numbing!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The problem with all paddle clutches is the rate at which they wear the flywheel and presure plate. This is due to the metalic nature if the friction material and its high mu (coef. of friction).
Great for absorbing loads of heat generated on launches but less driveable. Paddle clutches can also live with less clamp load and hence pedal effort.

Organic facings just denature the same as brake pads with too much heat, leading to high wear an eventualy loss of drive !

If you live in town an organic type driven plate is the better option. (but several people on here use paddle clutch with no problems)

Remember when you spec your clutch BHP has nothing to do with it, it is Nm (torque) that is the limiting factor. I am supprised any would say a clutch is good for 400 BHP ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
The reason why i stated 400 BHP is that i`m planning to upgrade my engine tot his kind of power.
I know it will create more trouble for clutch, and i want to make right choice.
I`m tired of Twin Plate HKS that i have now.
London traffice is killing me.
thanks for advice

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The problem with more power means you will end up with a less user friendly clutch, the twin clutch will reduce pedal effort but give some drag and judder ?

Bulging leg muscles or your twin plate clutch are your only real options, with cerametallic buttons or organic facings depending on how you are going to use the car.

(or a carbon / carbon clutch if you have loads of cash, but they are even less user friendly ;) )

I assumed the 400 BHP came from Alcon :crackup:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Evoedd said:
From what I read on the manufacturers details the Alcon 6 paddle is alright if you don't do much town work. I want something thats user friendly and that will last longer than the oem one.
Steve
most uprated clutches will last longer than the OE one, more clamp load and better facing material will always help.

Remember most clutches are killed by driving style. It is possible to distory any clutch in just a few starts if you try hard enough !!

again user friendly and uprated don't always go together

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So 123456, what personally would you recommend?

I want a clutch for every day use, her in doors drives it some times(but not too much) and I have at present 350bhp and 309lbft, but will, I expect go for more soon.

Any further input would be useful as I expect I will buy it and get Yeovil Mitsi ti fit, they reckon on 4/5 hours for fitting.

Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
MADMAT said:
I fitted the new Heliex organic with the 441ft/lb rated cover and Fidanza flywheel the other week to DJ matty's car.
Very impressed with the drivability and clutch pedal feel.
Great round town to :)
Im having the same(Rated at 484ft/lb) fitted to mine next week when it goes in under warranty for a new gearbox :rolleyes:

http://www.helix-autosport.com/groupn.asp
I'd have to agree here.....I have the helix clutch with light weight flywheel....and its ten times better than the original one and is user friendly also.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I could only recomend an AP Racing clutch :) :naughty:
(because I design their clutches for a living :crackup: :crackup:
but not the EVO assembly, its a little before my time !!)

But there are 2 votes for the Helix assembly here to ;)

I've also done 54,000 miles on the original clutch, but will probably go 4 or 6 paddel dp with an uprated cover when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for your input, have gane for the Helix organic with fidenza flywheel. Getting it from RSE Motersports, good price as well.

Going into Vincents Yeovil next wednesday for fitting.

Thanks again

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts