Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently realised that the clucth engage position has shifted
very close to the end of the clutch pedal travel. Apart from the obvious
reasons to be concerned this is also very annoying because of the exact
foot timming that is required in order to avoid increasing the revs (momentarily
due to slipping clutch) every time I change a gear. The clutch is not slipping
at all when engaged (at least I think so).

What do you think would be the life expectancy of a clutch bearing in mind that
it has NEVER been abused with standing starts. My car (Extreme S) is supposed
to have a RalliArt uprated clutch which is supposed to be 25% stronger than the
normal E7 one (I hope the Ralliart people didn't forget to change it :) ). I am asking
because my previous E6TME (a demo car bought at 9K miles) was driven in the same
manner after its purchase for another 15K miles with absolutely no clutch problems.
My extreme S was bought from new and while fitted with uprated clutch (I suppose)
shows significant wear at less than 5K miles (even worse considering that during the
first 1K I was running the engine :( ).

(Most of the miles I am doing are motorway miles)

Now I know that the car's engine produces significant torque but I thought that if I don't
do standing starts and avoid quick changes (not that I can :) as the Gearbox seems to be
very notchy - at least so far) that the clutch should last much more than that.

What is your opinion ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Faulty clutches R not unknown , another poss is a faulty release bearing , or very unlikely , a shagged crankshaft thrust bearing. Have it checked out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to say this but if the uprated clutch is a paddle type then i am afraid that about 5000miles is all you get from the units as they are not for normal everyday use . i may be wrong but even the HKS CUSCO units state that 5000miles and new plates may be needed .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
evo400,

5K miles without doing standing starts and generally without abusing the clutch ?
Is the torque/power of the car so much that the clutch can't handle it and show signs
of significant wear at less than 5K miles ? If yes, shouldn't the EVO owners be informed
about the life expectancy of their clutch beforehand ?

Life is full of suprises :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evo400

Are you sure about this??
I have a HKS Super Twin paddle clutch, and to say that it has a life expectancy of 5000miles is IMO untrue.
How can you say that an uprated clutch that supposed to handle well over 350 lbs of torque won't last more than 5000 miles???
Especially for everyday driving, with the odd track day or sprint.
That means your better off with cheaper uprated clutch, and save yourself the extra £500 or so, as they would last longer????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The advantage of a twin plate clutch is it's smooth engagement with a good power/torque capacity.

A cheaper cerametallic paddle clutch may have a similar power/torque capacity but it's drivability is severely compromised with shuddering and noise on take up.

The life of a clutch all depends on how you drive the car and how much you slip it. Remember it's only wearing when it's slipping.
Ceramic faced clutches are more durable than a standard organic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paddle type and twin plate comp clutches r not really intended 4 street driving in stop start conditions , their forte is rapid and full engagement on hard standing starts to extract max performance from the car. Standard and organic clutches will MOSTLY have progressive engagement which most drivers prefer in street driving , but due 2 this even if u release the clutch very quickly they will always slip B4 they engage , this causes the stink , shortens their life (and the flywheel) and won't allow max acceleration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Original Post:
Evo400

Are you sure about this??
I have a HKS Super Twin paddle clutch, and to say that it has a life expectancy of 5000miles is IMO untrue.
How can you say that an uprated clutch that supposed to handle well over 350 lbs of torque won't last more than 5000 miles???
Especially for everyday driving, with the odd track day or sprint.
That means your better off with cheaper uprated clutch, and save yourself the extra £500 or so, as they would last longer????
SuperEvo4,

not to mention that I haven't done any track days either ... :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have finished off 2 sets of triple plates clutch and 2 sets of racing big-single clutch all within 12 months !!! that is to say on an average of 3 months per each clutch plate ! and now i have switched back to original factory clutch plates and it has been working fine for over 5 months now and it is still working up to this moment in time! ....... i think the factory stuff is more suitable for street use!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EVO4.65,

Have you attended any track days ? Any standing starts - quarter mile trials ? (because I haven't)
What mileage are you doing per year (roughly ?)

Do you suggest that the factory clutch plates are stronger (more durable) than the triple plate clutches and racing big clutches
or you simply changed your way of driving since you fitted the last ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I went to collect my Evo 1 from the garage which prepared it for its SVA test the mechanic told me that he had an Evo 7 coming in the next day for a new clutch and it had only done 4000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shaiz,

I don't believe that a new clutch should last for 4K miles only, unless ofcourse being abused.
And then there is also the posibility of being faulty. In my case the clutch is supposed to be
a 25% uprated one (but the engine has more power too). I remember I got the funny clutch
smell the very first time I started to drive the car while leaving RalliArt's (Xtreme autos now I believe)
premises. I remember I was with my wife at the time and as new to the car I revved the car a bit more
and slowly released the clutch (nothing dramatic) when I got the funny smell - bear in mind I wasn't
trying to make a quick start ...

Anyway, I'll check it with Xtreme autos when the car will go back to them for a few more
things that need to be sorted out.

Regards,

Alex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts