Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing some clutch juddering when cold. Is it a normal thing on an Evo VI or do I have a problem with my clutch

Thanks and Merry Xmas
Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently the clutches don't last too long on an EVO if you use them hard (GSR I'm talking about). Some people have reported clutch failure within as little as 6000 miles although I can't confirm this.
To test the clutch for slippage stick the car in a high gear (5th) and accelerate hard from a slow speed (20mph say).

If you do have to get a replacement and you have a GSR then go for the RS version which is twin plate as opposed to the GSR single plate clutch or look into other manufacturers clutches.

Any more suggestions on replacement clutch types/costs and whether they are suitable for general road use or just track?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tarik,

I have experienced a little clutch judder from cold on my E4. I had the opportunity to check my clutch plate thickness after first noticing the judder and it had loads of life left. The Gearbox was removed for a bearing replacement at the time. Since the rebuils I have covered 8000 miles with no problems and treat my car with a great deal of respect (that it deserves).

I still get some judder every now and then and it occurs only if I have the revs a little too low when cold.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonathan,

my Evo 6 is only 5000 kms (3000 miles), and I treat it with loads of respect (I never start above 3000 rpm, and I never side step the clutch or let it go hard - actually I don't care much about fast starts), so I do not think it is a problem with the clutch's life expectancy.
My prblem seems to be the same as yours (low revs when cold)
Maybe it is like that and we shouldn't be paranoid

Thanks again

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree that they are probably all a bit juddery when cold.

My 1997 Lancer MIVEC used to be exactly the same....This was a Lancer similar to the EVO in shape with a 1600 MIVEC engine and apparently the same gearbox minus the transfer part. It was front wheel drive......

Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts