Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that the E6 cover is made to take heavier loads in comparison to the E5. Does anyone know why this is so? Is an AP Organic clutch plate and an E6 clutch cover a good combination for a long lasting clutch for my E5? I really don't want to experience that smell again. The interior is still impregnated by the smell of cooked clutch, no medium rare, very well done! :)

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, can anyone walk me through the steps of changing the clutch on an Evo 5? I've done the clutch on my celica several times, yet never on an Evo (obviously).

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, it seems that everyone has left me in dark here. Yet, I'll contribute with I've done this past weekend with my clutch.

Changing an E5 clutch was fairly simple. Started the job by removing all visible pieces on the way of the box: induction kit, battery, unbolted wiring harnesses, etc.

Proceeded to mounting the engine hoist: Used the hoist with two hooks, one held the motor in place since mounts were going to come off, then the other I used to hold the trans and eventually used it to bring it down.

Unbolted evrything from the bottom first, removed starter motor and transfer case, took drive shaft apart. Axles came out, then proceeded to unbolt everything else like top bolts holding the trans to the motor.

The only problem I had arrived at the end: shitty clutch bearing was a bitch to come out. Maybe there's a special tool to remove it, but I used a big screw driver, one person holding it on top, while the bottom prying it from there. Very tough to see through the holes, yet a small flashlight, some safety glasses due to the falling dust and debris, plus patience got the darn thing off. Good thing I bought another bearing, because the sides of it were pretty stretched due to the force applied with the screw drivers. Finally, lowered the box down, left it hanging by the hook on the hoist.

Wow, flywheel looked a bit blue. Machined it a small bit, but didn't remove it off (was unsure on torque specifications when come time to bolt it on).

Fitted new bearing, assembled accordingly with clutch release. Lined clutch disk and cover using clutch aligning tool. Bolted clutch cover, began re-assembling everything.

Total time |EQU| 6.5 hours
Difficulty: Except for bearing giving me hell, everything else was pretty straight forward as long as you have done clutches in the past, no big secret. Remember to put starter motor back before re-connecting the downpipe.

Parts fitted:
E6 clutch cover
AP Organic disk/plate
New bearing

A Jun flywheel would it been a nice upgrade. But, it's not fun to do everything all at once. Next clutch job will definetely deserve a flywheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.