Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running my car for a while, I notice a strange mechanical clicking sound coming from the rear of the car. It always happens when pulling into my driveway, which requires turning 90 degrees off the road and up an incline while the wheels are turned. When I slowly apply the power in 1st gear, the clicking sound is clearly audible with the windows down.

I don't THINK it's the clutch, as I have no problems whatsoever with slippage. Some people have told me I need to put in thicker LSD oil?

The problem has been there the past few months, and doesn't seem to be getting worse. In all other respects, the car feels fine. It is an Evo-5 RS (no AYC).

Thanks for the inputs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you may find the problem is in the centre diff.
The bolts on the crownwheel tend to break off, hence the noise when on a lock.
Does it sound like a worn CV joint?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FAVille,

Afraid I don't know what a worn CV joint sounds like... so I couldn't answer that question.

How else can I check this? I live in the Philippines, so there are hardly any garages that specialize in Evos. I'd like to avoid risking taking the center diff down/apart unless I really need to.

Broken bolts (or anything for that matter) sounds scary. Is this the sort of thing that could be dangerous? Or is the answer to that obvious? |EQU|)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was the centre diff bolts I would have thought you would have heard it mostly at the front, in the gearbox, as that is where the centre diff is. If you get vibration/noise on the rear driveshaft and a noise in the gearbox at the same time then it would likely to be the centre diff.
Are you sure the noise is coming from the rear of the car?
Find some flat level ground and keep turning and shunting the car about on full lock until you can hear it. You may be able to stop the car just as it is making the noise, if you can switch off, get out and rock the car back and forth with your hands and you should be able hear roughly where the noise is coming from. Try also grabbing suspension components and driveshafts while rocking it back and forth when it makes the noise, you should be able to pin point it exactly.
Have a look at this thread as it describes the same problem except on the front of the car (front LSD).
I have not heard of a problem with the centre diff before although obviously that doesn't rule it out.
Could it be a possible problem with the rear LSD diff though?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heave ho six you are correct the centre diff is in the gearbox. What I mean is the transfer box(or front diff).
I have experienced this noise quite a few times in the past and the noise does seem to come from the rear of the car.
What I would suggest is establishing where exactly the noise is coming from by doing as heave ho six suggested.
If the noise is coming from the front diff then I am confident that previous diagnosis is correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolts in my front LSD came loose and produced the worn CV joint noise but on the front right driveshaft. Depending on which bolts have come loose or are broken in the diff (there are 4) will determine whether the noise comes when turning to the left or right or in either direction.
If the noise is DEFINITELY coming from the rear then it suggests a worn CV joint or possibly a rear diff problem. It could even possibly be a suspension problem. If you find the noise is coming from the front then it may well be front LSD diff bolts but make sure it is definitely is that (check the suspension bushes and CV joints before thinking about the diff).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts