Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been on axle stands for nearly 2 weeks while the wheels were sent away, the discs have gone from a nice silver colour to a orange rust colour!

Whats the best way to clean it off without doing any damage to the discs?

Ta

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Teri,
You will probably find that they return to normal colour as soon as you use them again. Mine always go orange after washing the car but then return to normal after its first blast out after cleaning.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, no cleaning required for ornage deposits. The brown hard stuff that forms over a long time at a high temperture is harder than the steel of the disk and will not shift.

On a different but related matter i find my fronts stick on after a pressure wash (on saturday) and then come unstuck with a clunk when i use the car again on monday. Is this common?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teri , If you have sent your wheels away to have them cleaned or refurbished , if you refit them and drive around to get the rust off it will go on your wheels , not nice if they have been done , what you can do is leave the car on axle stands , put a couple of wheel nuts on each disc to hold them tight to the hub and run it in gear with the brakes applied slightly , then when the discs are clean refit your wheels , this way the wheels wont get covered in rusty muck , Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oli,

As Andy says Yes! I always take mine for a drive after cleaning so they don't glaze over. Forgot once (lots of other things going on at the time) the solution was embarrasing and invovled another car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bit of medium grade emery paper (from b and amp; q/ halfords) will clean up rusty or glazed over disks, and clean up outer ridges, and center hubs which pads dont touch.
RogerRally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts