Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there chip upgrades available for the Evo (I have an E5)? I've been to the Superchips website and there's nothing listed there. Has anyone had any experience with these? How much, and where to buy?

I read in a recent test drive of the Evo VII that simply changing a chip in the ECU results in meaningful increases to both HP and torque (about 15% and 12% respectively). Are similar gains attainable for earlier Evo's?

Thanks and cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Where do you live? There are several places in the UK and I don't know who to recommend as there are many rip-off merchants around. I got ripped off so I wouldn't want to recommend the muppets that did my chip. Try and find a company that deals with rallycars and have a Motec ECU fitted which will set you back around 2000-2500 pounds altogether. This is the best possible option though, you can get them done for as little as 500 quid, but as I said I wouldn't trust guys like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I live halfway 'round the planet (in the Philippines, to be exact!). As far as I know, there's only one chip dealer around here (Superchips) and very few rally shops-- certainly none that specialize in Evo's!

So I'll have to settle for ordering something via mail or the internet, then a DIY fitting here. Assuming that is, someone can point me in the right direction regarding which chip to get. While Japan is much closer, and for obvious reasons has the most goodies for our cars, I've yet to find someone who can translate all the japanese website and magazines for me!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good solution at a good price is the ralliart sports ecu for the evo vi.
It also fit the evo v as I tryed it on my rs and it makes a big difference if fitted with a special exhaus and filter and slightly more boost.

If you have the standard exhaust and filter don't expect big improvements.

The part number is RA420996R1 I think.

If you ordetr it from japan it cost only 550£(95000JPY) and it's a full ECU!

Ask to www.irs.co.jp

They will tell you that on the ralliart catalogue it only fits the evo vi and they can't guarantee that it will work on the evo v but it does,I think you can ask to ralliar uk at www.ralliartuk.com if the sports ecu RA420996R1 fits the evo v.

If your evo v is an rs you just disconnect the battery negative cable and change the ecu and it will start,if you have an rs2 or gsr you will have to do a little electrical loom modification,if you don't the engine will not start.
This modification is very easy and it takes 2 minutes but you have to know what to do exactely and I don't know,you shoud ask to someone that has the sports ecu fitted or ralliart.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maxi,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will explore sourcing a Ralliart Sports ECU from Japan. From what you've seen, what kind of gains can I expect from this upgrade, assuming I also do an intake/exhaust job? And will my fuel economy suffer substantially?

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!

Claudius tryied the ralliart sports ecu on his evo vi rs2 but he did not get a real improvement over standard performance,it was even worst before he raise the boost!!!

It's because the ralliart sports ecu it's programmed to be fitted on the evo equipped with a full exhaust,air filter and higher boost.
We fit it on my evo v rs that has a supersprint full exhaust system,hks racing suction kit and power engineering fuel pump and It was really fast considering the the parts changed!

The boost was probably around 1.3/1.5, I didn't had the blitz dual turbo timer to monitor it at that time.

The car hasn't got a lot more torque than before with the exhaust and filter only at low rpm,but the rpm was going up really faster than before and you can really feel the difference.
With these parts you have almost the same engine power than a zero fighter or a xtreme or a tm-v4,the special editions made by ralliart!

You should have aproximately 340/350bhp.

If you fit this kind of parts fit something to monitor the boost level or even better a blitz or apexi boost controller that will monitor it and let you set the boost level whenever you want to get maximum performances or fuel economy!

Also as in the evo sometimes the wastegate actuator get rusted and can set the boost pressure to high,it can be dangerous if you can't see it as with the standard ecu you would have fuel cuts at around 1.4bars but with the ralliart sports ecu you wouldn't have them and you could run with a too high pressure!

Bye

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi hesperus

connect to the IRS web site and order
HKS Hyper Muffler exhaust
HKS GT extension kit
Blitz air filter (metal mesh)
Ralliart Sports ECU

That's what I did, waiting for the parts.

When MAXI fitted the Sports ECU to his car with the exhaust and filter, it was REALLY a lot faster, at least 350 bhp. I swear, it pushed really hard! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Too bad he just tried it out but couldn't afford it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, prices:

HKS Hyper Muffler exhaust 55,800 Y (GBP 327)
HKS GT extension kit 62,800 Y (GBP 368)
Blitz air filter (metal mesh) (GBP 177 in the UK)
Ralliart Sports ECU equivalent of GBP 550
Cusco Carbon strut braces Y 22,000 (GBP 129)

Hope nobody here bought these bars in the UK...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hesperus:

You can actually speak to your local superchip dealer about chipping your EVO5 in Philippines.
Then your local dealer should be able to get in touch with Superchip UK and download all the chipping data for your E5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Claudius, James:

Thanks for the info! I'll think about this a bit more, as I'm realizing there are so many options to explore. At this point, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck .

Likely will go for filter/exhaust and a boost controller for starters. Back to basics I suppose, and these are the sort of bits that are at least available here, while fitting my limited budget.

James, do you know people who've had good experience with Superchips on the Evo?

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claudius

so no Motec then! But keep me up to date how the stuff works! But don't forget to fit the ARP bolts to be on the safe side mate!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did speak to Superchip UK before, they told me they have done a few EVO...that time I think it was back about 2 years ago.

At the end of the day, I chose to go for the Japanese tuning parts...Boost Controller,Fuel Controller,Ignition controller,induction box,exhaust system..on a safe side as I didn'd do further mod on it so my current high peak boost is 1.3 bar.
I don't know much about chiiping the ECU..as my friend's 3000GTO twin turbo was done by Superchip...did came out with an amazing pulling power (Torque at 400 lb/ft on rolling road ) but gets fuel cut at around 5000rpm..I guess the setting was not done properly hence overboost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scoobymike

I havent actually ordered the Sports ECU, I was thinking of it because it worked so well in MAXI's Evo and because it is a lot cheaper. I want to get the Motec because I think it can be set up in such a way that it wont overfuel (black smoke syndrome) and that torque power boost ignition etc are OPTIMIZED. I am however still in doubt as to how good the tuners who do it are, and if it will be worth it. I mean anti lag is fun, but for 3 times the price, that's an expensive hair pin pull out option. Any news from EGMO?

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hesperus,
Where you are in Philippines,There are a few shops in the manila which they can help you out!There are some EV0 5 RS in manila which are heavily modified. Most of the owner get there parts thru local tuneshops.Have you ever seen the yellow fully built Bozz speed tuned EVO 5 here???And I understand there are one or two EVO 5 RS even with the 2.2 toda stroker kit.
As of now what modified parts you got in you EVO 5 RS,For me I suggest you put a down pipe and cats bypass pipe,together with the intake ,exhaust.I belive you will feel more difference in peformance compare with a ECU upgrade!

Thanks

JWKC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you talk to the superchips dealer here in Manila.Make sure you tell them you are Running 98 Ron octane Fuel.So they can give you the right Map !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jwkc,

Are you from Manila also? I live in Makati. Haven't seen the Yellow RS myself, but Mon (guy who set-it up) told me about it, and have seen pictures. I also saw the wild Autoplus Evo 5 with the Veilside kit. They were running it on the dyno yesterday, and it broke (the dyno, not the car!) |EQU|)

What Evo do you drive? I'm getting to know the cars around by their plate numbers... eventually meet the owners too.

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maxi,

Unfortunately I don't have pictures. Funny you should mention that, as I was at the tuning shop today as the Evo with the Veilside kit was being readied for the rolling road, and thought to myself wouldn't it be nice if I'd brought my digital camera so I could post some pics on here.

Anyway, I have no definite specs, though from poking my head in and around the car, the engine bay looked VERY different from my stock E5. Entire intake manifold and throttle body was completely different (HUGE!). The turbo was also four sizes larger than stock. Other bits that immediately caught my attention were exhaust headers (strange looking, and required removal of the standard heatshield) and massive intercooler (I think Greddy). All the plumbing seemed to be via aluminum piping that looked big enough to stick one's entire arm through. I think the exhaust is all titanium (I've seen a full titanium Cat-back system by ARC, but this one was a different make). Suspension bits that I could see looked like Cusco adjustable coil-over units.

Wheels were 18 forged magnesium (Volk Racing) with 235/40 tyres. Calipers and rotors were Brembo, but definitely much larger than stock Evo. The bonnet and boot were both full carbon fibre and as you might expect, were incredibly light.

I couldn't stay at the shop long enough to actually see the car being dyno'd, but got a peek at the screen readout for what I believe was yesterday's run, before they run into problems. Peak HP (SAE) was about 360, but note that this is at the driven wheels, not flywheel. On the same dyno, fully stock Evo's typically read at between 215-220 driven-wheel HP. So the 360 translates I guess to well over 400 flywheel HP. According to the chaps working at the shop, the car's peak reading was about 420 HP (driven), so likely close to, if not exceeding 500 flywheel HP.

What specs are you particularly interested in? I can try to ask next time I'm there if you like, and maybe even take pictures of the car (there were two other extensively modded Evo 5's there, though neither one as mad!). From what I've been told, the (lucky) owner has spent close to 35k quid on his mods!

As Jack Nicholson said in Batman ... where does he get all these wonderful toys?! |EQU|)

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As what I understand .I belive the car you saw in the shop was with HKS 3037 GT turbo. And the intercoolers and the headers are From Bozz speed.I belive The EVO with Veilside kit got almost the same parts as the Bozz speed tunned Yellow EVO 5. But they built their engine.Not from Bozz speed.
I belive the other modified EVO 5 RS are using Mines's kit with HKS 2835 GT turbo.

Thanks
JWKC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow!!!

If you could make some pictures of the evo and of the engine,wheels and other details it would be really cool!

I can't really tell you in what details I am interested as I am interested in everything that is not standard and is the best parts you can get!!!
Of course I would like to see the pictures and know the tecnichal specs or a kind of list of the special parts used and where to find them.
As well as the power and performance!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts