Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have chip and pin cards, and get asked by the cashier "do you know your pin?" kinda defeats the object i think.so when i said that, she said well "not all shops have chip and pin" what difference does that make?
or are the shops told to ask people if they know there pin, and to give shoppers the choice? she also seemed to think its not that good anyway, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Any shops who dont use chip and pin as of a couple of months ago have to cover the costs themselves for fraud.

Its basically a way banks can get out of having to cough up when they get carded etc.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Reims said:
Because most retards haven't bothered to find out their pin number..

Quite funny when they tell you what it is tho... :rolleyes:
:

:crackup:

You can over ride the pin number and take a signiture at your own peril .

How ever its far safer with a pin number .

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The pin system is okay, as it's a lot faster than signing your name :) However, I am yet to go in a shop that has a number pad that isn't in full view of the rest of the people in the shop :rolleyes: Surely they should be covered or something :confused:

Bex :angel:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I thought that, but the woman in sainsburys very kindly showed me that you can infact rip the things out of their cradle and walk a full 2 meters away from the checkout!!

Unfortunately after she made my mate demonstrate this, the thing broke and knacked the whole till up... i was very impressed :)

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
zebbedi said:
I thought that, but the woman in sainsburys very kindly showed me that you can infact rip the things out of their cradle and walk a full 2 meters away from the checkout!!

Unfortunately after she made my mate demonstrate this, the thing broke and knacked the whole till up... i was very impressed :)
:crackup: :crackup:

I'll give it a go next time I go shopping :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Bex

they should have a shroud around them in very public areas .

how ever unless someone is going to steal your card straight away or follow you home and rob you ,then don't worry too much
You may have noticed that your card receipt has no expiry date or start date ,not the full card number on it ,this is the biggest protection that has been introduced.

retailers on the whole have a good record with credit protection.

unfortunately people who are careless with their recepts ,statements and any other personal information are the ones that generally get ripped off.

Retailers are put under pressure now to be more vigilent with customer credit and information storage .

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
zebbedi said:
Any shops who dont use chip and pin as of a couple of months ago have to cover the costs themselves for fraud.

Its basically a way banks can get out of having to cough up when they get carded etc.
If a retailer takes necessary steps they're covered with a signature too. http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/business/card_payments/2005.html

One of the pinciples behind Chip and Pin is that you're supposed to be able to use it WITHOUT handing over the card! You're supposed to put the car in the reader yourself, tap the PIN, and remove your card. This way they can't skim your card when you're not looking.

But I keep going into shops who insist I give them my card to insert in the reader themselves, but they're a bit miffed when I tell them to bugger off - especially when the reader is right in front of me. :crackup:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Radar said:
But I keep going into shops who insist I give them my card to insert in the reader themselves, but they're a bit miffed when I tell them to bugger off - especially when the reader is right in front of me. :crackup:
Come on now Mark, do you actually say that to them :confused:

If so fair play :D

Thanks Shorty for the reassurance :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have once :crackup:

The two guys in my local Shell are useless and never listen to anything I say anyway - including the pump number :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chip and PIN sucks.

Thanks to stupid retailers who use authentication systems that don't authenticate properly my card is now 'declined' with tedious regularity - probably 2 or 3 times in every 10.

Some say it's a problem with Maestro, others that it's HSBC, others indicate that I must have stolen the card or typed my PIN wrong. It's usually in smaller 'independent' outlets that it happens, although it never works in WHSmith so that's not necessarily an indicator. In all cases where they refuse to let me sign instead, they lose my business as I will not give them an alternative card as a point of principle.

Why does nothing in this country ever work properly?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Reims said:
Thing I don't understand is how such customers as Americans with no chips will use their cards in future here... :confused:
Who cares :)
The company I work for install C&P stuff for some of the big high street retailers.
Some of the chip and pin setups are really bad, no raised digits for visually impaired people. One of the shops that we installed into wanted to put the keypad somewhere that was staff only so that they'd have to ask the customer for their pin :)

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Colonel Mullet said:
Chip and PIN sucks.

Thanks to stupid retailers who use authentication systems that don't authenticate properly my card is now 'declined' with tedious regularity - probably 2 or 3 times in every 10.

Some say it's a problem with Maestro, others that it's HSBC, others indicate that I must have stolen the card or typed my PIN wrong. It's usually in smaller 'independent' outlets that it happens, although it never works in WHSmith so that's not necessarily an indicator. In all cases where they refuse to let me sign instead, they lose my business as I will not give them an alternative card as a point of principle.

Why does nothing in this country ever work properly?
Hmm thats interesting, I also have a HSBC Maestro and it does repeatedly say card declined until I give the chip a good lick, then rub it on my shirt and put it back in. :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Colonel Mullet said:
Chip and PIN sucks.

Do you get that as well?? My HSBC card NEVER works. I even called them up and they sent me a new card... doesnt work. Took it into bank.. was told it was fine... doesnt work.

I was told that at the moment the system allows several attempts before giving up and allowing a signature, but soon it will be only chip and pin... when that happens.. im screwed!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so seems like different retailers have there own rules on how chip&pin should be used, the idea behind it is a good one, but yeah your screwed if your card dosn't play the game, as there is nothing stopping someone that stole/found the card from damaging the chip so they could use a signature instead :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
No way would I give a member of staff my card , the whole point of it is that you do it yourself! I'm glad they have stopped printing the whole visa number on the recipts though , IMO that should have been standard from the word go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Why cant they scrap damn receipts all together and do online ones??? Login to your online banking, and voila a copy of all the receipts. Purchase something and the receipt is generated by the bank or something.

Those without internet could receive a copy of them with their bank statements or something.

No more annoying paper in your pocket to dispose of properly, and would make it a little harder for most of the crims out there.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
GlobalGB said:
Hmm thats interesting, I also have a HSBC Maestro and it does repeatedly say card declined until I give the chip a good lick, then rub it on my shirt and put it back in. :D
LOL, the old trick for getting recalcitrant pound coins to be accepted in parking machines! So much for new technology, eh?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.