Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with all the publicity regarding obesity in children I've just thought of something that might help. I've designed a device that you install in the electrical circuit of kids bedrooms which is attached to an exercise bike and the kids have to generate their own electricity to power the playstations and tv etc.
If they peddle like f**k then they can 'sell' any surplus juice to the household and earn 'food' vouchers not dissimilar to the feed in tarif employed be solar companies.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Nice thought; even an Olympic athlete can't generate more than 0.4 horsepower (in energy) meaning you might not even generate enough punch to keep the average PC & monitor on.

A modern energy-efficient laptop might only need around 20W. This is much more feasible to keep it on (not charging the battery!) although 2H of laptop-usage is only worth 1 normal-sized Mars bar in calories burnt.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great idea anything that gets kids moving i am for but i feel the parents are the key to this epidemic. It is i feel a spin off from the lack of compulsory sport in schools and the ease of obtaining high fat high sugar cheap fast food. I am lucky as our daughter is very active outdoor type who gets easily board playing game son consoles.
I feel your idea could help the energy shortage, i wonder how much power is used in households on games consoles? On a similar note my brother has just come back from the States where he was shocked while walking through a Wallmart as the number of mobility scooters seemed to match the number of shopping trolleys. This is how we could be in 10 years shocking thought.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice thought; even an Olympic athlete can't generate more than 0.4 horsepower (in energy) meaning you might not even generate enough punch to keep the average PC & monitor on.

A modern energy-efficient laptop might only need around 20W. This is much more feasible to keep it on (not charging the battery!) although 2H of laptop-usage is only worth 1 normal-sized Mars bar in calories burnt.
Ok them we don't take it literally; half an hours cycling at a preset rate gives half an hours electrical usage.

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
I'll take 2 - one for my son and one for myself! Might suggest Paul hooks up my spinner bike to the PC to encourage me to use it more...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts