Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have bought my car as a grey import i have no manual etc with it.

When I go to start the car a number of lights/symbols appear on the dash (handbrake, seatbelt etc). I have only had the car a couple of weeks and I now notice that the Check Engine light takes a few moments to go out. There is another symbol near this (unsure what it is for perhaps someone could tell me) which goes out at the same time. Perhaps this has always been the case and I am only noticing it now.

My query is:
1: Should the check engine light go out straight away? i.e once ignition key is turned.
2: What is that other symbol for?

As an aside: I had a rear knocking noise from the car, and I and others reckoned it was the rear drop links to the anti-roll bar. Well I got two links, 12 Irish pounds each from J and amp;S motor factors (Mitsubishi here wanted 42 each and spurious ones had new nuts!) Spent Sunday taking old ones off, what a sh*tty job, had to hackshaw them off, put new ones on and knocking is still there. P*ssed off with that. Hope to drop the car into AMF motorsport over here (Dublin) to look at it for me and do some other bits for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there,

The engine check light will stay on for a small period of time (1-2 secs) while it is checking the engine for problems. After all the checks have been done the light will go out.
The other light is more than likely the Catylitic converter (sp??) if this is staying on it may need to be removed and/or replaced....

As for the knocking....hmm not too sure but my E3 does this from the front....I have had that checked by Mitsubishi and it is simply the bushes....also heard others having this problem...should cause no damage (so I have been told http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) but replacing with nolethane (sp??) bushes fixes this (again so I have been told [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >)...

Other than these issues all sounds normal, so have a blast [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
If you are worried about them drop in and see a service agent, to check it out. they should be able to do this in a couple of minutes...if that.

Catch Ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, I may be a guilty party here as I had a knocking from the rear and was told it was the drop links on the anti-roll bar. Which I replaced. however, there was still a knock. Following the anti-roll bar I discovered that the hole in the innner bush had been elongated and the antiroll bar was moving inside the bush.
If you get underneath at the drivers side, grab the anti-roll bar and shake it, you may find movement in a square bush mounted on the body at the side of the spare wheel well.
You won't have wasted your time with the outer links though, I bet-like mine - the threaded portion moved around far to easily. At least the square bush should be easy to replace I'm just about to measure them up to get a pair of universal poly ones from Powerflex.
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads,
I will look at the two bushes that attach the roll bar in the middle,, I was thinking as a temporary fix I could wrap the bar in insulating tape to pad it out.

Also,,, that other light probably is the Cat converter. I notice that there are wirring noises from the passenger footwell when the Check Engine Light is on,, they then stop and the light goes out. Is the ECU on that side?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. ECU is behind the passenger kick panel. I too get a wirring noise when turning car on, but i just thought that this is the vents and/or fan motor moving/powering up....not too sure if you should hear the ECU going through the motions http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Cheers
Troy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts