Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about nitrous? If your after cheap power increase won't this do? Or does it do more damage than good?

A freind of mine was concidering it on a 5 - £500 ish for 80 Bhp.

Too much fast and furious me finx!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nitrous in a turbo car is a waste of time. Easier to raise boost.

Only reason for fitting nitrous would be as antilag system. This works at lower engine speeds before there is any boost when the throttle is suddenly opened. The massive increase in exhaust gases caused by the nitrous will spin up turbo earlier. When turbo is fully on stream nitrous can be stopped.

However unless you fit an enormous turbo I can't see the point as lag is not a major problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's great for drag racing as an antilag device - but not much use for an everyday motor.
Definitely one for the 1/4 mile or the Fast and Furious brigade.

Increases all the stresses on the internals - and also possible to blow your motor up if incorrectly installed - eg. if nitrous still on song when you hit the rev-limiter then you suffer a big dollop of nitrous exploding in your cylinders - can destroy the engine instantaneously.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, to run nitrous properly its best to have a forged piston rebuild to take the extra stresses. I also see nitrous as a bit a cheats way to gain power. I'm more of a purist in that sense.

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

trev is the man
this is 40 miles from me,and 20 years ago (!) i drove an sdi 3500 with the funny stuff
it blew my 18 yr old mind
and ive never been the same since

he has done a few water injection systems for evos running high boost

sound bloke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, Trev is the man when it comes to NOS.

I have a Highpower nitrous system ready to be fitted to my supra,
if fitted properly NOS is perfectly safe for you car and can benefit
a turbo'd car more than a NA car.

I have just bought the giant HKS GT twin turbo kit for my supra
(rated at 800bhp but HUGE lag) , so im now going to use the NOS
as a lag reducer rather than a power producer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is NOS actually any good, what difference does it make? i take it its nothing like on F and amp;F lol thats just ridiculus still a good film, though no evos :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doof,

the power of an engine is limited by the amount of oxygen you can get into it. Normally this oxygen is got from the air (after all its free - at the moment). Nitrous is NO2 i.e one molecule of Nitrogen and two of oxygen. when heated it dissociates into Nitrogen and oxgen. the advantage of Nitrous is that it can be fairly easily kept as a liquid at moderate pressures rather than say pure oxygen which would need mega pressures. Hence on a normally aspirated engine you squirt in as much Nitrous (and additional fuel) to give you the required power boost.

Nitrous is good because it will give a massive increase in torque at lowish engine revs. However for a decent power boost you will use alot of Nitrous.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx oli goon, i get what its all about now. i always thought NOS actually replaced the fuel for the brief time it was on and that it was much more explosive that petrol, thus giving an increase in power. well you learn something every day so they say, thats mine :D thx,
lewis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx oli goon, i get what its all about now. i always thought NOS actually replaced the fuel for the brief time it was on and that it was much more explosive that petrol, thus giving an increase in power. well you learn something every day so they say, thats mine :D thx,
lewis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts