Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone whom gets there hands dirty and services there car like i do every 1500miles ,castrol gtx 10w40 12.20 including vat and chevron fully synthetic 5w40 11.40 including vat all from cost co wholesale and 5 litres .Chevron oils anyone heard any goodthings?:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Haven't used Chevron, but somehow I have the feeling that they have something to do with Valvoline. Valvoline I have used and it's very good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you pay a lot more for a well known and advertised brand. A lot of the 'cheaper' oils still exceed the desired specifications.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry guys just realised should of put castrol gtx magnatec,take it chevron is a bit of a un known? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My theory is that you could use Kwiksave own brand as long as you change it often enough.

All oils sold have to meet the same API standards as the 'big boys', and for someone like me who knows kidolgy (I work in hi-fi!) there is a lot of BS and fluff in a lot of the claims made by oil companies.

I'm not saying that 'Clampett's 5w50' is as good as 'Snakeoil 1', just suggesting that maybe we don't really need an oil as good as 'Snakeoil 1'. The [email protected] has a lot to do with it though, and some are utterly convinced that thier car would be devalued by using anything less than the latest £10/litre superoil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C yer point guys , and yes with some premium oils u pay a disproportionate amount of the purchase price 4 the brand name.

However , using the buy cheap and change often routine , u wud have 2 change probably 3 -4 times more frequently with an inferior oil 2 b safe , which wud b virtually the same as using a quality oil 2 start with.
There r many factors 2 oil chemistry which r invisible 2 the customer but affect the life of an engine drastically , 1 of the primary factors is the base oil used by the manufacturer , low price brands use a low grade base because this is the highest cost factor , but cheap base stock will break down surprisingly quickly.
The best synthetic brands r the US makes , they use the best base stock and additive packages , this stuff can be relied upon 2 protect an engine.

However if u have convinced yourselves that low price brands do the job then it's your choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats right , if you purchase the Castrol RS 10-60w in 25 ltr drums it works out @ £5 per ltr ( |PLS| vat )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Custard,
U couldn't b more wrong m8 , 4 instance some low price brands use RECYCLED base stock !

Synthetics in particular r very complex formulations.

The problem with oil is having enuf knowledge 2 make a good choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Valvoline Synpower fully synthetic 5-50 on all my
cars and it does the job perfectly. I do it for £16.00 for the 4ltr tub,
which for a high quality oil (atleast as good as Mobil1) is superb value.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clive daved6
With you servicing your cars like me just wondered are u using the mitsubishi oil filter or is there an alternative like the pipercross range of performance oil filters,also seen a gizmo which fits between the oilfilter and engine block and claims to remove metal particals made by magnacor any benefits using these? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts