1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
11,648 Posts
Won't be long until we are taxed to take a ****.

As said, if they used them money for road improvements, great but nothing will change.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flat fee for all cars of £140 (only zero emmisions are zero tax) once they are a couple of years old. Premium for high emmissions only being the first year or couple of years, if I read it correctly

Seems better to me for the second hand market of high end / power cars in the future

Stu

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,824 Posts
Buyers of smaller, more economical cars will face the biggest tax hike - in some cases, more than nine times what they're paying now
:lol: you don't say? Remember when they wanted everyone in diesel cars so they make diesel cheap as chips then when everyone switched they jacked the prices higher than petrol saying they were bad for the environment, then used that to tax them more and now want them off the road altogether? Was waiting for them to do the same with LPG but that never caught on. Now electric and low emission cars are gaining popularity it's the same all over again - make them cheap to get people to switch then jack the prices right up.

It's no wonder people don't trust the g'ment with stuff like this. There should be more transparency in tax and it should be simpler, like £30 a year for every 1,000 miles the car does. By my reckoning that would make the tax you pay on an evo something like this...

evotax.png

·
Administrator
29,339 Posts
I didn't understand a word of that, and have no idea what I need to pay now :lol:......

·
Been here a while now....
1,245 Posts
Cars should be taxed a flat rate, why penalise some one who has a nice car with a big engine who does little mileage per year and let the clowns in stupid city cars pay bugger all and drive a million miles.
Road tax should be for the upkeep of the roads! :goingmad:

Rant over

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
There was a proposal quite a few years ago, about putting an increase on fuel tax to cover road tax and removing the 6 / 12 monthly payment, so therefore less miles equals less road tax, and more miles equals more road tax, which I felt was fair, but obviously the government didn't.

Either way it should be spent on upkeep of the roads, they are really bad around by me.!! :mad::frust::mad::shake:

Reactions: Cyberstaff

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was a proposal quite a few years ago, about putting an increase on fuel tax to cover road tax and removing the 6 / 12 monthly payment, so therefore less miles equals less road tax, and more miles equals more road tax, which I felt was fair, but obviously the government didn't.

Either way it should be spent on upkeep of the roads, they are really bad around by me.!! :mad::frust::mad::shake:
Fuel prices are such a sore point anyway, i suspect the powers that be dont dare to be the 1 that adds another chunk of tax to fuel, but I agree its a fairer way to do things

Stu

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Fuel prices are such a sore point anyway, i suspect the powers that be dont dare to be the 1 that adds another chunk of tax to fuel, but I agree its a fairer way to do things

Stu
Agreed Stu.

This way there will be less road tax dodging as you need fuel to move, can't forget to pay, little or no admin costs, gas guzzlers or high mile drivers who use the roads more pay more, occasional drivers pay less as they use the road less and best of all, foreign drivers get to pay too through using petrol stations whereas currently we pay for them.... win/win?!!

The Govt. could work out what an average car with average miles would use in fuel and price it so that it would equal say nearer £200 a year (instead of £140 as from April) but being spread over each tank full you wouldn't see it as much in your pocket, the Govt. would be quids in?

The only ones that would escape paying are those who use chip fat in diesels, and it could lead to the Govt. quietly increasing it more and more so average Joe paying through the nose?

·
Been here a while now....
1,245 Posts

In total agreement bud:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Bit slow learning about this but not surprised that the government have moved the goal posts again.

Looking at the new figures I'm guessing cars just over £40k with high emissions registered after 01/04/17 aren't going to be so popular. Not that I've got £40k to spend or are interested in a new car either. Saying that though buying say a new M3 the car tax would cost you £1200 in the first year and £450 for the next 5 years :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,559 Posts
You lot are having it easy for years ...:rolleyes:
Over here its 2k tax for anything like a Supra /m3 etc .....or even an Evo X post July 2008 ......(maybe that was a FAT charge :mhihi:)
Even silver VIIs cant outrun a rapecharge of 200 euro every 3 months :cry:
Least roadtax doesnt exist ( its motortax innit ;)
or being pedantic its Vehicle Excise Duty :angel: )

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Scrap VED (car tax) and put a few more pence on Fuel tax, it's a no brainer.

The more fuel you use the more tax you pay, no collection costs. Difficult to dodge paying. Whats not to like?

Maybe scrapping the tax disc was a small step towards scrapping VED?

The UK motorist is cash cow that keeps on giving.

The metropolitan elite don't care, they don't own a car (they get driven about for free at the tax payers expense) and their sycophants in the capital just use a public transport system that gets massively more investment than any outside the capital.

Scrap VED and scrap it NOW:mad::wallbang::goingmad:

PFC

Reactions: will2

·
Registered
571 Posts
Totally agree ! think france has the same system fuel duty pay's for the national roads and if you use autoroute you pay for what you travel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts