Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
A mate at work asked me what the torque split front rear was on my TME. I didn't know so looked at the workshop manuals. All the centre diffs shown and there is only 1 in the e4/e5 manual shows an open centre diff.

Is this all there is available?

It does shows the option of a front LSD.

Does the e7 switchable centre diff sit in the same housing as the e4-e6 diff? I'm guessing not.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
The centre diff is an infinitely variable viscous coupling unit - basic is 50:50 torque split.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Lightspeed,

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know? None of the literature that I have mentions a viscous centre diff.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Have spoken with Ralliart as I wanted to check what the situation is regarding the diffs before I put Slick 50 into the gearbox (should not be done with an LSD).

What Ralliart said was this:-

Centre Diff (on back of gearbox so shares oil)
Open type diff normally fitted, however on some cars a gear type LSD is fitted. I was told that my TME would have one of the gear type LSD's.

Front Diff (in transfer box)
Open type diff normally fitted. LSD was an option but some cars eg HH6's were fitted with front LSD at factory as they had run out of non-LSD diffs. The LSD diff was a viscous coupled type.

In neither case can you tell whether you have an LSD diff or not from the outside.

I'm not saying this is gospel, but it is what I was told by Ralliart and without proof to the contrary i am in no position to doubt it.

Consequently I will not risk putting Slick50 into the gearbox.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
The evo 7 brochure states that evo's 1 to 6 have a viscous coupled centre diff - it even has a little diagram. The RS models have helical gear LSD front diffs. This is the same system Mitsubishi have been using since 1989 when the launched the VR4.

There is a chart in the WSM which details the gearbox codes for evo's 4 to 6 and the front diff type fitted so you should be able to tell from outside.

Personally I don't rate oil additives much - prefer to use good oil and change it regularly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts