Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had the vet on the phone saying it's not looking good for poor Stig (cat) after he was hit by a car last week the vet had to reset his hip which went well. Now we've been told his kidneys aren't working very well so it looks like they've been too badly damaged to recover. He's on a drip with only small improvement after a couple of days so we're going to give him a few more days, then we have to decide whether to have him put down or carry on treatment and see if he improves.:cry:

Problem is he's my favourite cat and isn't even 2 years old yet. I hate having to make a call like this but I guess it comes with owning pets and making them part of the family. Poor wee soul

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed. :(

If worse comes to worst though, just concentrate on the fact that, if it's anything like my cat, they have fantastic quality of life as pets so I'm sure he's had a good life, albeit shorter than anyone would have hoped.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
cat

our cat[sooty] had kidney probs-not through an accident,but through anti freeze poison i suspect. i was given the life/death type scenario-paid £300
and all is well thats 2-3 years ago
i felt i had to give the cat every chance-or i would never know what could have been
my two dogs and cat are now insured against this sort of thing.
best of luck whatever way you decide donald

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
im in a similar postion. my cat has a large tumour in its intestines. the vet does not want to operate as there is only a 10% chance it will live and says it will die shortly. the cat has lost an awfull amount of weight in the last month. We know it needs to be put down but the way we are looking at it is a month to us is probably like a year to a cat. tough decision to make

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet reckons he's not suffering other than the pain of his hip which would need time to heal anyway. Will be going in past to see him today. I'm all for not letting an animal suffer but he's a such a fit/strong cat it's the vet who reckoned to give him a few days and see if there's any improvement

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the plan, as mentioned above if we don't give it time we'll never know. He seems happy enough to be resting just now so hopefully we'll see some improvement.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hold out give it time, its too easy to say he's suffering so put him down, cat's are hardy buggers and if he wants to come around he will, if he'd of been a stray he would of crawled of under a tree for days on his own

its tuff i've been there but hold out :smthumbup

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
fingers cross mate.

I had to make that decision with my cat last month. Was gutted, he hand cancer in his lungs, we knew it was there but it was only a matter of time. Started having bad coughing fits. I couldnt let the wee man suffer.

Still gutted.

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just after the accident he was pee-ing blood so we assume the blood came from the kidneys. I want to think he'll recover but vet mentioned less than 10% chance his kidneys will start working again. I won't let him suffer but want to exhaust all possibilities before I give up

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Just after the accident he was pee-ing blood so we assume the blood came from the kidneys. I want to think he'll recover but vet mentioned less than 10% chance his kidneys will start working again. I won't let him suffer but want to exhaust all possibilities before I give up
best thing you can do mate

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is him just after chewing Jo's hair...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Aww hope he is ok, you never know fingers crossed if not you have to let him go you don't want him in any pain :-(

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Had to have our George put to sleep a couple of weeks back - extremely hard to do but he was 13 and he had kindney issues for at least 3 years...we know his quality of life was very good and it was worth all the earlier decisions to help him keep going............just hope someone will do the same for me when things stop working so well :D

IMO, give him a fighting chance, if he doesn't want to fight he'll make it quite clear to you ;)

all the best,
danny.

·
Twincharger Guru
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had to have our George put to sleep a couple of weeks back - extremely hard to do but he was 13 and he had kindney issues for at least 3 years...we know his quality of life was very good and it was worth all the earlier decisions to help him keep going............just hope someone will do the same for me when things stop working so well :D

IMO, give him a fighting chance, if he doesn't want to fight he'll make it quite clear to you ;)

all the best,
danny.
Yeah not so bad at older age but still a hard thing to have to do. They become part of the family.

Stig's still looking perky, purring and friendly - in fact if you didn't know there was something wrong, you wouldn't know to look at him!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi
hope stig pulls through donald
also glad to see some cat lovers on this forum
lost one of mine to kidney failure a few years ago , was told afterwards you can get cats kidney transplants given from cats that have died of something else , very pricey i believe , i also had one with a hole in its heart it managed to survive with lots of treatment and money until she was ten , came home last month to find her having a heart attack ,had to do the dirty dead as she had no chance of ever walking again was totaly gutted for weeks , spent thousands on her but worth it as they are part of your family
so go and look at kidney transplants donald and spend some money , your hillclimbing can wait till next year as family and pets comes first
shocker

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
well we had to get our cat put to sleep tonight :cry: very hard to do when you've known the poor thing for 12 years

·
Registered
626 Posts
well we had to get our cat put to sleep tonight :cry: very hard to do when you've known the poor thing for 12 years
So sorry to hear that mate, just think of the great 12 years it had

Have just had the vet on the phone saying it's not looking good for poor Stig (cat) after he was hit by a car last week the vet had to reset his hip which went well. Now we've been told his kidneys aren't working very well so it looks like they've been too badly damaged to recover. He's on a drip with only small improvement after a couple of days so we're going to give him a few more days, then we have to decide whether to have him put down or carry on treatment and see if he improves.:cry:

Problem is he's my favourite cat and isn't even 2 years old yet. I hate having to make a call like this but I guess it comes with owning pets and making them part of the family. Poor wee soul
I know people talk about not letting the animal suffer and all that, but if it was my cat especially so young I would let him fight all the way. You may be surprised how strong they are. Don't give up on him mate and I will keep my fingers crossed for him

1 - 20 of 52 Posts